Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer
- Montana State University
- Bozeman, Montana
SENIOR DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION OFFICER
Montana State University seeks a creative, collaborative, strategic and results-oriented leader to assume the new position of Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer. As a direct report to the President and Provost the Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer will promote an institutional culture that values and supports inclusion at Montana State University. The Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer will be dedicated to the mission of a land grant university and will be excited to work at a student-centered research university dedicated to the creation and application of knowledge. This individual will have a broad vision for the role of diversity in achieving institutional excellence and a strong track record in managing change and in building and supporting initiatives that promote diversity, equity, access and inclusion. The Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer will serve as a catalyst to leverage best practices across the MSU campus. The position will also help to develop shared accountability to introduce and measure new programs and to promote a culture of inclusion at the University. Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer candidates who possess a terminal degree from an accredited institution may qualify for an appointment in an academic department.
Founded in 1893 as the land-grant university of the state, Montana State University is a Carnegie-designated Doctoral University with Higher Research Activity and a Community Engaged institution. MSU is the largest university in Montana and the largest land-grant institution in the surrounding states, offering more than 180 baccalaureate, graduate certificates, master’s and doctoral degree programs. The university’s annual budget exceeds $570 million, with more than 1,200 faculty, 2,000 staff members, and more than 16,700 students who represent all 50 states and 72 countries.
The Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer will be responsible for leading and coordinating MSU’s progress towards diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Serve on the President's Executive Council and advise the President, Provost and senior University administrative officers on issues relating to University diversity and inclusion.
- Advise University efforts to recruit and retain a diverse community of faculty, staff, students and to promote a culture of thriving and institutional commitment to inclusivity.
- Provide vision, leadership, coordination and strategic planning for the design and implementation of an institution-wide framework to ensure diversity, equity and respect for all students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors/guests.
- Primarily responsible for coordinating implementation of the University's strategic plan and framework recommendations for diversity and inclusion in partnership with other units to ensure that diversity initiatives are aligned with the overall University's strategic plan.
- Develop, coordinate and lead institutional diversity council/s to promote institutional transformation and inclusive excellence across the institution.
- Work with university leadership to advise retention and completion strategies for American Indian students and other under-represented and minority students; serve as the point of contact and lead campus coordinator for American Indian programs and services for other under-represented and minority students.
- Design, facilitate, analyze and disseminate results of a campus climate assessment every 3-4 years.
- Develop and analyze actionable, proactive metrics that support monitoring, needs analysis and strategic insights regarding diversity and inclusion trends.
- Guide the development and implementation of strategies toward creating a diverse and equitable learning, research and work environment.
- Promote a positive image and positive external relations for the University by working with University Communications to communicate and interact with city, state and other officials in matters related to University diversity efforts. Represent the President, Provost and University in various community, state and regional activities designed to promote diversity at Montana State University and higher education in general.
- Identify, develop, foster and maintain strong internal and external relationships for integrating diversity/inclusion initiatives that advance diversity-building partnerships in the community.
- An excellent command of contemporary diversity, equity, inclusion and multiculturalism concepts and issues in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to research, identify and implement best practices of diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially within a complex university system with a wide range of constituencies both on and off campus.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Successful record of leading and advancing diversity and cultural inclusion initiatives.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing outreach efforts and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in shared governance.
- PhD or terminal degree
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting Montana State University in the search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. For full consideration, materials should be provided by August 15, 2018. Application materials, based on the MSU vacancy announcement (http://www.montana.edu/jobs), should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position’s duties, responsibilities and qualifications, an academic curriculum vitae and contact information for at least five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to:
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Kevin Bennett, Executive Search Consultant
42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, FL 32550
For more information about Montana State University, please visit http://www.montana.edu
Montana State University reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran. This policy applies to all programs and facilities, including, but not limited to, admissions, educational programs, and employment.
More search results
Director of Admissions
University of Mississippi
Assistant/Associate Professor - Clinical Track in…
University of California, Los Angeles
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF ROME
Associate Provost of Research & Innovation
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Associate Director, Margo Souza Leadership Center
University of California, Merced