Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- Oregon Institute of Technology
- Klamath Falls, OR
Invitation for Applications for:
Associate Vice President/Chief Information Officer
- Position Type: Administrative
- College/Division: Finance and Administration
- Department: Information Technology Services (ITS)
- Work Location: Klamath Falls, some travel to Portland
- Appointment: 1.0 FTE, 12 Months, Full Time
- Annual Salary: $130,000 - $150,000
The Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer (AVPCIO) serves as Oregon Tech's Chief Information Officer (CIO). The AVPCIO provides vision, leadership, integrative management, and direction for the Information Technology Services (ITS) department, overseeing the university’s shared and secured information systems, as well as institution-wide IT strategic planning, budgeting, and coordination and integration of all university IT matters across a growing institution. The AVPCIO leads strategic development, builds partnerships and coordinates a holistic IT enterprise and is accountable for the overall success of Oregon Techs IT strategies, investments and implementation. This position designs, recommends and implements IT policy at the highest level and serves as the University’s senior spokesperson on issues related to administrative, student support, clinical, academic information systems and capital projects.
The AVP/CIO leads the Information Technology Services (ITS) department supporting ITS matters across Oregon Tech's locations including Klamath Falls, the Portland metro area, Salem, Scappoose, and Seattle.
This position reports to the Vice President of Finance & Administration (VPFA) and is based in Klamath Falls, Oregon. This position is responsible for overall administration of Information Technology Services including budget planning and management, setting goals and departmental objectives, staff assignments and organizations, and direct supervision of office administrative staff. This position's primary responsibilities include:
- Establishing overall leadership, strategic direction and operational management of Oregon Tech's ITS functions. Focus on embracing change and foster innovation to support the university’s overall mission.
- Collaborating with academic and administrative units to create a technology environment that provides the institution with a sustainable, competitive advantage.
- Implementing and overseeing the institution’s data and network security policies, practices and training in a decentralized yet highly regulated environment including confidential financial, FERPA and HIPPA protected data.
- Providing IT leadership for Capital projects, leading IT technology decisions and vendor selection supporting the needs of building owners while demonstrating an understanding of ITS strategy and cost management.
Information Technology Systems (ITS) consists of Security, Service Desk, Infrastructure and Programming departments that work together closely to serve the classroom and operational technology needs of all Oregon Tech campuses. The organization consists of 19 full time positions with several student positions. The leadership consists of the CIO, CTO, Security Director and the IT Operations Manager. Some teams are remotely located at the Portland Metro and Klamath campuses.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in Computer Science, Information Technology or Business Administration with an emphasis on information systems or another related field is required. Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated progressive professional experience in IT leadership, strategy and management (people, projects, processes, technology, data and finance) along with experience in scoping, identifying and implementing new information technologies, work plans or projects in the IT field.
- Experience in higher education institutions, healthcare or private firms with multiple campuses, locations or diverse user needs.
- Ability to effectively and respectfully work, communicate, and collaborate in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings.
- Experience in developing comprehensive information technology services strategic plan.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration or closely related field.
- Ten (10) years professional experience and a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in IT leadership, strategy and management (people, projects, processes, technology, data and finance) along with experience in scoping, identifying and implementing new information technologies, work plans or projects in the IT field.
- Ability to develop and promote collaboration around a shared vision for the use of information, and educational technology within the university.
- Ability to develop and successfully execute operational and strategic IT plans that promote the university’s overall strategic directions and effectively manage operational, capital, and other financial resources.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, both logical and interpersonal, conduct and communicate cost-benefit and return-on-investment analyses.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, which includes being able to define and articulate the impact of projects on resources (including human resources) and workload. Capacity to develop high performance technical teams through coaching, mentoring, skills development and continual performance feedback.
- Ability to articulate and translate IT plans, business processes and information needs between IT professionals and users and decision makers.
- CITM, CAPM, CGEIT or similar certifications.
- Client-centered orientation and strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate highly complex technical information to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to successfully manage IT services vendors, software providers and contractors.
- Thorough understanding of technology trends, applications, current developments and best practices, particularly in areas of educational technology and how to apply them in a growing multi-site mid-sized institution.
- Possess a clear vision of the role technology will play in higher education in the future.
- Ability to prioritize competing IT needs related in a highly dynamic and rapidly changing environment.
- Strong understanding of and experience leading the implementation and adoption of administrative/ERP systems, with a preference for experience managing Ellucian’s Banner system and FENXT financial accounting and reporting.
- Strong knowledge of data center operations, servers, storage devices, networking systems and cloud computing.
- Familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint content management system.
- Working knowledge of software development processes, programming languages, and change management.
- Thorough understanding of network and data security practices and policies in a complex, multi-site organization. Ability to establish and maintain suitable network defensive measures and controls.
- Thorough understanding of confidentiality and privacy protection practices including but not limited to FERPA, HIPAA, the Oregon ID Theft Protection Act, and other state and federal regulations.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION & EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
At Oregon Institute of Technology, we celebrate and support diversity. Oregon Tech is proud to be an affirmative action employer and equal opportunity workplace. We want applicants of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
If you are a member of one of the equity groups identified by applicable law, we encourage you to self-identify, where requested in our online application system. If you are a member of a socially or historically underrepresented or marginalized group or you have actively demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Oregon Tech is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its services, programs, activities, education, and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application or interview process, please reach out to the Office of Human Resources at 541-885-1028 or email us at email@example.com.
ABOUT OREGON INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Founded in 1947, initially as a vocational rehabilitation school for World War II veterans, Oregon Tech has grown immensely in size, scope, and service. Today, we're accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, and our student population totals nearly 5,000, making our student-to-faculty ratio 16:1.
Officially recognized as Oregon's Polytechnic University, we specialize in engineering, technology, healthcare, business, communication, and applied sciences such as psychology and environmental science. Our faculty and industry partners work hard to ensure students have the resources and training to tackle the challenges of both today and tomorrow.
Oregon Tech's real-world focus produces real results, too: Within six months of graduation, our students are either enrolled in graduate school or employed with median starting salaries of $60,000 per year.
Some of our students know what they want to pursue before they even step foot on campus. Others might have an inkling and find their path as they explore the options available at Oregon Tech. Either way, students' time at the University gives them the know-how to produce work that matters to them and to the world. Put another way, we provide hands-on education for real-world achievement. That's Oregon Tech's distinct commitment.
Two traits that make Oregon Tech a special place include our sincere focus on our students and the impressive quality of the students we attract.
Our individualized and applied approach to teaching, which blends theory and practice, is the main reason our graduates are so avidly recruited. Whether they study software engineering, vascular technology, management, or dental hygiene, Oregon Tech students have unique opportunities to apply what they learn in lab-based classes, clinics, externships, and workplaces. This practical focus is reinforced in the classroom by instructors who come to Oregon Tech with relevant business, industry, or clinical experience.
Through our nearly 50 bachelor's and advanced degree programs, the University offers a rigorous, experiential education that allows students to pursue their passions and professional opportunities in internships, externships, and field experiences.
Oregon Tech is committed to building and supporting a diverse and inclusive community of students, faculty, and staff, where each person is welcomed, valued, and feels a sense of belonging.
OREGON TECH COMMUNITIES
Oregon Tech has multiple campuses and teaching sites that serve the Pacific Northwest and beyond.
Klamath Falls Campus is the University's original and largest campus. Nestled on the eastern slope of the Cascade Mountains on Upper Klamath Lake, the 190-acre campus offers students a comprehensive residential experience and a full array of Oregon Tech's signature degrees. Programs and student activities often engage in the beautiful environment around Klamath Falls, with outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, biking, water sports, and all that nature offers. Renewable energy produced on campus from solar and geothermal sources provides a unique, sustainable environment and a perfect complement to Oregon Tech's renewable energy engineering, environmental science, and other related degree programs. Approximately 2,200 students are enrolled at the Klamath Falls residential campus, and the bulk of Oregon Tech's faculty and staff work on this campus.
Portland-Metro Campus is Oregon Tech's urban campus and is located about 15 miles south of downtown Portland in Wilsonville. In the heart of the Silicon Forest industry cluster, with more than 700 students, the Portland-Metro campus is designed to be a commuter campus. High-demand bachelor's and master's degrees in engineering, business, technology, and health care accessible to full- and part-time students. These programs are especially convenient for community college transfer students, working professionals, and busy adults through day, evening, weekend, and online courses.
Online Campus enables around 700 students to earn a certificate, associate, bachelor's, or master's degree without leaving their home or office. The Online campus offers 17-degree completion and complete degree programs. Online student credit hours have grown by 130% during the last decade.
Seattle Campus offers bachelor's and master's degrees, and certificate programs, in mechanical and manufacturing engineering to Boeing employees at their Seattle area manufacturing facilities.
Chemeketa Community College (Salem, OR) is a teaching site for Oregon Tech's bachelor's degree in dental hygiene through a unique dual enrollment partnership between Oregon Tech and Chemeketa Community College.
Scappoose Oregon Manufacturing Innovation Center Research & Development (OMIC R&D) is 21 miles northeast of Portland. OMIC R&D is a multi-national industry R&D enterprise, and Oregon Tech is proud to serve as its host university. This site provides an excellent opportunity for our students to work as interns, and alongside industry professionals and faculty researchers, on real-world manufacturing problem sets provided by industry members.
OREGON TECH VALUES
- Student Success: Prioritizing student and graduate success in every decision or action at every level of the University.
- Integrity: Adhering to the highest standards of ethical principles.
- Respect: Demonstrating high regard for one another in interactions and treating others with dignity.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion: Welcoming and empowering individuals of differing backgrounds, identities, and life experiences.
- Service: Contributing to the well-being of our University and external communities.
- Accountability: Taking responsibility for our actions and demonstrating leadership.
- Excellence: Embracing and celebrating the highest quality standards in teaching, research, and innovation.
- Confidence: Exhibiting pride and conviction in our University, our talent, and our contributions to those around us.
OREGON TECH MISSION
Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech), Oregon's public polytechnic university, offers innovative, professionally focused undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the areas of engineering, health, business, technology, and applied arts and sciences. To foster student and graduate success, the university provides a hands-on, project-based learning environment and emphasizes innovation, scholarship, and applied research. With a commitment to diversity and leadership development, Oregon Tech offers statewide educational opportunities and technical expertise to meet current and emerging needs of Oregonians as well as other national and international constituents.
OREGON TECH VISION
Oregon Tech will be a student-centered, world-class polytechnic university that inspires students to become tomorrow's leaders.
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (with a letter of interest, a complete Resume or CV, and a list of at least five references that includes contact information), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting Oregon Tech. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until appointment is made. For full consideration, please submit applications by July 26, 2023. Applications received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the committee and/or hiring authority.
Jacob C. Anderson, Senior Principal
Jack M. McGrew, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
Tel: (678) 775-4564 || Fax: (770) 804-1917
firstname.lastname@example.org || email@example.com
All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm. Nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence and candidates will remain confidential until the final stage of the search process; at which time the express permission of finalists will be obtained before making their candidacy public.
BACKGROUND / PRE-EMPLOYMENT CHECK
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory background check, motor vehicle check, physical abilities check, and/or any other conditions of employment contained in the vacancy announcement.
More search results
Assistant Vice President, Student Academic Record…
University of Dayton
Vice President for University Communications
University of Oregon
Vice President and Director of Research
W.E. Upjohn Institute
University of New Orleans President
University of New Orleans
Northern Kentucky University