Dean of Palm Desert Campus (Administrator III) / Palm Desert Campus
- California State University, San Bernardino
- San Bernardino, CA
California State University, San Bernardino
Dean of Palm Desert Campus (Administrator III) / Palm Desert Campus
Salary Depends on Qualifications
Location Palm Desert, CA
Job Type Full-Time
Division Academic Affairs
Job Number 2018-00363
About California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB)
CSUSB is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually.
CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire, and it has the second highest African American and Hispanic enrollments of all public universities in California. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
The Palm Desert Campus (PDC) is an integral part of CSUSB and is situated 70 miles east of San Bernardino in the heart of the Coachella Valley. The PDC has an enrollment of approximately 1,400 and offers more than 40 degree and credential programs at the bachelor's and master's degree levels and an Ed.D. in educational leadership. One of the region's most beautiful venues, the PDC is a cultural center for the region and serves as the intellectual hub for the Coachella Valley. A master plan to transform the PDC from a suburban commuter campus to a residential campus that will serve an estimated enrollment of 8,000 full-time equivalent students was recently approved by California State University. For more information on CSUSB and its Palm Desert Campus, please visit the CSUSB website.
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt position, included in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP).
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin September 17, 2018.
Required Application Materials:
- The successful applicant will be expected to live in the Coachella Valley; the start date is February 1, 2019.
- All applicants must submit: (1) a cover letter, resume (or curricula vitae), (2) three professional references who can provide assessments of your professional experience, accomplishments and prospects for success in this position, and (3) a diversity statement. The diversity statement may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion and gender equity and must include specific examples of how your educational/professional experiences, background/philosophy has prepared you for the role you are applying for at California State University, San Bernardino.
Serving as the Chief Operating Officer of the PDC, this position reports to the provost and vice president for academic affairs. The position administers an annual operating budget of $1.8 million. Funding for academic programs and overhead are managed by CSUSB. The successful candidate will work in concert with vice presidents and deans on specific operations related to the campus, including curriculum and instruction, fundraising and development, community relations, relations with local municipalities, student services, communication, facilities and planning, fiscal management and information technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all college resources (fiscal, facilities and personnel)
- Support and promote high quality educational programs
- Sustain an environment of academic excellence and collegiality
- Increase community-university engagement activities, high-impact practice opportunities and service learning for students
- Advance the California State University's (CSU's) Graduation Initiative 2025, CSUSB Strategic Plan, and Academic Affairs and PDC goals and priorities
- Engage in collaborative efforts with faculty, committees, department chairs and program coordinators, the academic affairs leadership team, university leadership, Student Affairs and community partners
- Prepare and/or contribute to a variety of reports related to the campus; and provide recommendations to the Provost
- Build and maintain close relations with alumni and the community
- Secure partnerships and funding to facilitate growth and innovation
- Collaborate with University Advancement on marketing strategies and announcements to promote the PDC
- Support the smooth transition from a quarter to semester academic calendar
Required Qualifications and Experience
- An earned terminal degree and at least five years administrative experience at the level of department chair or higher
- A record of accomplishment in teaching, research/scholarly/creative activity, and service sufficient to warrant a tenured appointment at the rank of professor
- Successful experience in academic program development, strategic planning, and personnel and budgetary management
- A successful record of community engagement and fundraising
- A successful record of grant writing and grant management
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse community
- Stellar oral and written communication skills
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Apply online at:
More search results
Director for College and Career Advising
University of Oregon, Office of Academic Advising
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT, PROVOST, AND DEAN OF TH…
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH
Associate Vice President, Strategic Planning and …
Anne Arundel Community College
Horticulture Outreach Program Manager
University of Wisconsin-Extension
Assistant Professor - Nuclear Engineering
University of Massachusetts Lowell