Director of Athletics
- Emory & Henry College
Emory & Henry College (www.ehc.edu) is accepting nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics (AD). E&H seeks a dynamic and inspiring professional to lead the College’s intercollegiate athletic program. Reporting to the President, the AD provides oversight of the staff and coaches, is involved in all intercollegiate athletic programs and is responsible for the department’s vision, planning, program development and assessment, budget, and resource management including facilities, supervision of compliance with NCAA and ODAC rules and regulations, coaching and support staff appointments and supervision, athletic staff professional development, outreach to the local and regional community, and relationships with prospective students and graduates.
The student-athletes at Emory & Henry pursue their goals with passion. One of the most celebrated parts of campus life at the College is the intercollegiate athletics program (www.ehc.edu/athletics) that has brought great excitement and recognition to the institution for more than 100 years. Emory & Henry College’s intercollegiate athletics program prepares students for lives of service, productive careers, and global citizenship by instilling in them the traits that serve as the foundation for achieving success. The College currently sponsors 22 intercollegiate programs, including 16 NCAA Division III sports which compete in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC), two teams from the Intermont Equestrian program, and competitive cheerleading & dance squads. The College added men’s and women’s track & field as intercollegiate varsity sports for the 2018-19 academic year. Check out www.GoWasps.com for all the latest information about Emory & Henry Athletics.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Hires, evaluates and supervises coaching staff and other department employees.
- Supervises and evaluates departmental programs and facilities including intercollegiate athletics and the King Center.
- Educates coaches on recruiting, enrollment and retention programs.
- Complies with all rules, policies, and procedures as established by Emory & Henry College.
- Ensures the College remains in compliance with NCAA Division III, ODAC rules, Title IX, and federal and state regulations.
- Works cooperatively with the Dean of Students to ensure full utilization of the King Center facilities and combined athletic/recreational fields for access and use by all Emory & Henry students, faculty, and staff.
- Works in collaboration with Institutional Advancement and Marketing and Communications to raise financial resources for Intercollegiate athletics.
- Works with coaches, SID, and the office of Marketing and Communication to promote the athletic programs and ensure on-going and positive public and community relations.
- Plans and coordinates activities of coaching staff.
- Prepares and provides oversight to the budget and authorizes department expenditures.
- Coordinates events with I-HEY (I Help Every Year – a program which began in 1948 to help with fundraising for athletics).
- Supervises the administrative assistant to ensure business processes including budgeting, vouchering, Title IX training are being followed.
- Plans and schedules athletic events, and oversees ticket sales operations, reports and activities.
- Directly supervises all coaches and employees in the athletic facilities.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include:
- Interviewing, hiring, and training employees
- Planning, assigning, and directing work
- Appraising performance
- Rewarding and disciplining employees
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master's degree.
- Demonstrated record of successful athletic administrative experience or equivalent managerial experience.
- Demonstrated commitment and sensitivity to equal opportunity, gender, equity, and diversity.
- Affiliation and active engagement with professional organizations appropriate to the position.
- Demonstrated ability for promoting and marketing the athletic program within the College and the community.
- Experience teaching and/or coaching is preferred; College level a plus.
- Commitment to excellence in academics and athletics.
- Understanding of changes and trends in athletic education and practice.
- Commitment to shared governance and collaboration.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
About Emory & Henry College
In the 180 years since its founding in 1836, the College has garnered a reputation for being a strong academic institution with a long history of service and engagement to the region and the world. “Increase in Excellence,” the historic motto of the College, expresses Emory & Henry’s intention to be a learning community that moves toward fulfilling every student’s potential.
Emory & Henry enrolls 1,012 undergraduate students and 200 students in the College's graduate and professional programs. E&H supports a strong research program in the arts and sciences. The College recently opened a $25M Arts Center that houses a Theatre, blackbox and art gallery. Students also benefit from a wide range of practical experiences beyond the classroom through the new Ampersand Connection Experience - connecting world of work experiences with the classroom.
Located in the Virginia Highlands, the Emory & Henry central campus encompasses 168 pristine acres and is surrounded by an additional 167 undeveloped acres and the village of Emory. The campus is noted for its beauty as well as its architectural distinction. The entire central campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Register of Historic Landmarks. Emory & Henry also houses a nationally ranked Equine facility, School of Health Sciences, and a 75-acre field station each within 20 miles of campus.
Emory & Henry College is being assisted in the search by the firms of Hyatt-Fennell and Athletics Staffing and Consultants. Nominations for the position and application materials should be submitted electronically to: EHC@hyatt-fennell.com. Please specify the position in the subject line. Applications include a letter of interest, a current résumé/cv, and contact information for five professional references, in Microsoft Word or PDF documents. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should be submitted prior to July 16, 2018 to receive full consideration. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential. Emory & Henry College is an equal opportunity provider and employer, supports excellence through diversity, and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For additional information contact:
Dr. Kurt Patberg
Athletics Staffing and Consultants
More search results
VICE CHANCELLOR FOR ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT AND STU…
Purdue University Northwest
Director of Marketing
Princeton University Press
MNO Visiting Professor #53824
Southern Methodist University
Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Finance
Michigan State University
Assistant Instructor / Instructor
Michigan State University