Chief Audit Officer
- East Carolina University
- Greenville, NC
Vacancy #: 900062
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The primary purpose of the Office of Internal Audit and Management Advisory Services is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and provide insight. It helps the University accomplish its strategic objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
The primary purpose of the Chief Audit Officer is to oversee the Office of Internal Audit and Management Advisory Services to ensure it adds values to the University by providing objective and relevant assurance and consulting services that contributes to the effectiveness and efficiency of governance, risk management, and control processes of the University. This position must also form strategic alliances with the University community and be viewed by others as a trusted advisor. This position reports administratively to the Chancellor and functionally to the ECU Board of Trustees Audit Committee.
- Ensure the internal audit activity conforms to the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards).
- Ensure the internal audit activity adheres to the IIA’s Code of Ethics and Rules of Conduct that includes integrity, objectivity, confidentiality, and competency.
- Promote and cultivate strategic relationships and collaboration with the University community to include senior leaders, board members, and external constituents.
- Ensure the independence and objectivity of the internal audit activity and that the activity is carried out with proficiency and due professional care.
- Promote the continued growth of internal audit staff through professional certifications, professional memberships, and continuing education development opportunities.
- In collaboration with the Chancellor and the Audit Committee, establish an internal audit charter that is compatible with the Audit Committee charter and consistent with the Standards.
- Establish written policies and procedures to guide the internal audit activity.
- Establish an annual risk-based audit plan to determine the priorities of the internal audit activity that is based on an effective and efficient risk assessment methodology that includes the input of senior leaders and Enterprise Risk Management.
- Ensure the risk-based audit plan is communicated to senior leaders and approved by the Chancellor and the Audit Committee.
- Oversee the execution of the risk-based audit plan that includes operational, compliance, information technology, and investigative reviews as well as special projects, consultations, and committee representation.
- Ensure resources of the internal audit activity are appropriate, sufficient, and effectively deployed to achieve the approved risk-based audit plan.
- Provide management advisory services as requested by senior leaders and management.
- Ensure the internal audit activity receives an external quality assurance assessment at least every five years.
- Ensure the internal audit activity is quality-oriented by conducting ongoing and periodic internal quality assessments.
- Coordinate internal audit activities with other internal and external assurance providers to ensure adequate coverage of the University and to alleviate duplication of effort.
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) for the internal audit activity and report the results of the KPIs to senior leaders, the Chancellor, and the Audit Committee.
- Review and authorize the publication of audit reports including the recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure published audit reports are communicated to the appropriate personnel.
- Establish an effective follow-up process to ensure that management has implemented the recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure all reporting requirements of UNC General Administration and the Council of Internal Auditing have been met as it relates to internal audit.
- Provide support to the Audit Committee by coordinating and preparing meeting agendas and minutes.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends, technological advancements, and implement best practices regarding internal audit.
- As the designated Audit Liaison Officer, coordinate external audits with State and Federal agencies and follow-ups on any recommendations.
Master’s degree. CPA or CIA required.
Ten years of progressive responsibility and broad experience in internal audit.
Skills/Attributes required – Highest integrity, superior leadership skills, technical skills (IT, data analytics, audit management software), communication skills, team oriented, continuous learner, relationship builder, intellectually curious, change agent, and trusted advisor
Experience with operational, compliance, and information technology audits as well as investigations and management advisory services.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
CISA or CFE preferred
University experience preferred
Special Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for the position, all applicants are required to submit online a candidate profile, a letter of interest, a current resume, a list of three references including contact information, and proof of credentials (i.e. CPA, CIA, CISA or CFE).
Additionally, original official transcripts, a criminal background check, and three signed letters of reference will be required upon offer of employment. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and conferred by the time of hire.
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Application Types Accepted
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 900062 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/15359
More search results
Provost and Dean of the Faculty
Director of Development, UCLA School of the Arts …
University of California, Los Angeles
Vice President for Equity and Inclusion
Agnes Scott College
Assistant or Associate Professor - Disability Stu…
CUNY School of Professional Studies
Distinguished Lecturer/Associate Academic Directo…
CUNY School of Professional Studies