Dean of MSU Libraries
- Michigan State University
- East Lansing, MI 48824
Michigan State University (MSU) seeks applications and nominations for an accomplished and visionary leader to serve in the role of Dean of MSU Libraries. Reporting to the Provost, the Dean serves as the chief administrator and academic leader within MSU Libraries and across the University. The Dean will partner with the Provost’s office and with members of the Dean’s Council to continue to support the academic and research mission of the university.
With a vibrant faculty and staff, the MSU Libraries are among the top 30 largest academic library systems in North America. A member of the Association of Research Libraries and part of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, the MSU Libraries are deeply committed to their land-grant and research university mission.
The primary responsibilities of the Dean of MSU Libraries are to:
- Provide strategic, forward-thinking leadership to effectively set priorities, manage resources and programs, and achieve institutional goals;
- Collaborate creatively across campus and beyond to advance the Libraries’ mission and role as a thought partner, building alliances to support and enhance the evolving needs of researchers, educators, students, users, and innovators;
- Oversee the Libraries’ budget and cultivate relationships with alumnae donors, and outside partners to support the Libraries’ fundraising and development efforts;
- Promote the Libraries at campus, state, national, and international levels;
- Direct the recruitment, development, and retention of a diverse and talented library staff, and create an inclusive and collaborative library environment.
The ideal candidate will have experience as a dynamic leader in an academic research library environment, demonstrating an understanding of the complexity of an academic library, which is responsible for providing information resources for research and scholarly work. The candidate should have a Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences from an ALA accredited program or equivalent program, and five years of successful, experience and expertise in leadership and management at an executive and or senior leadership level in a medium to large academic research library.
How to Apply
Greenwood Asher & Associates is assisting Michigan State University in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood Asher & Associates. For a full application package, please provide a cover letter, CV, a statement on how past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion will advance MSU’s commitment to inclusive excellence, and a list of five references. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin in March and will continue until an appointment is made.
The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Shelley Sullivan Feather
Practice Leader, Library and Information Science
and Senior Executive Search Consultant
Vice President of Executive Search
For more information about the library and Michigan State University, please visit:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.