Reference & Instruction / Reference & Scholarship Librarians
- Dakota State Univeristy
- Madison, SD
The Karl E. Mundt Library at Dakota State University in Madison, SD is developing a new proactive vision to aid in the design of a future cyber oriented library. We seek two (2) innovative, collegiate, and professional individuals to assist in planning, implementing, promoting, and assessing the services and resources provided by the library to the DSU campus to promote life-long learning. DSU’s mission is on the forefront of cybersecurity, information technology, and education, and we seek candidates who thrive in an environment of exploration and innovation.
We are looking for a Reference & Instruction Librarian and a Reference & Scholarship Librarian. These positions will be non-tenure track (term), 12 month faculty positions that report to the Director of the Library. Rank will be determined based on the applicant’s qualifications and experience. The positions are in-person with the option of flexible hours.
The following is a sample of responsibilities across the positions.
- Collaborate with the Director of the Library in developing and implementing a future plan for the library.
- Keep current on new technologies impacting academic libraries.
- Provide instruction across a variety of modalities to individuals and classes about all aspects of information literacy.
- Integrate library services throughout the institution.
- Proactively develop relationships with faculty to support instruction and research.
- Utilize instructional design in development of instructional offerings.
- Assess and evaluate instructional offerings, services, and/or resources provided by the library.
- Provide reference and research assistance.
- Assist in collection development.
- Participate in library and university activities and committees.
- Be professionally active and engage in activities appropriate to rank.
- Use software and library systems such as ExLibris ALMA, Primo, OCLC EZ-Proxy, Springshare’s suite of Libguides, and/or WordPress.
- Promote advances in scholarly communication through topics such as open access and institutional repositories.
- Develop data management plans.
- Develop, design, and maintain the library’s websites and social media ensuring accessible online access to the full-range of library resources and services.
- Regularly evaluate user experience and usability of the library’s website, discovery tools, and web-based services with usability tests, surveys, and other methods to implement changes.
- Troubleshoot access issues for electronic resources as well as authentication protocols and proxy configuration.
- Collect and analyze usage data.
- Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association or degree earned within one year of hire.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong service orientation.
- Personal attributes: professionalism, persistence, willingness to learn, responsible, self-starter.
- Familiarity with current issues and trends in academic librarianship.
- Professional experience in an academic library.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous professional development.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- A second Master’s or advance degree will be necessary for promotion within the librarian faculty rank (not required).
In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Your experiences in libraries.
- What areas of librarianship excite you and how you will advance them in the future.
- Flexible benefits package – including paid time off, health and retirement benefits
- Life and disability insurance options
- Reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities
- Professional liability coverage
How to Apply:
To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcripts, and contact information for at least three professional references.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
About Dakota State University:
DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
DSU is committed to equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.