Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Texas A&M International University
- Laredo, Texas
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) seeks nominations and applications for the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (Provost).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the President, the Provost serves as the University’s chief academic officer and is responsible for directing and coordinating all aspects of academic affairs. It is expected that the Provost will:
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
- Develop, recommend, and implement all academic policies.
- Provide forward-thinking, strategic leadership for a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to support the Division of Academic Affairs.
- Oversee all academic programs and library operations including administrative oversight, support, and program development.
- Oversee the budgets of the Division of Academic Affairs and ensure compliance with University procedures.
- Conduct periodic reviews and evaluate operations, personnel, and resource use.
- Review and evaluate academic program offerings by each College/School.
- Represent the University within the local community, interacting with the community’s civic and educational leaders.
- Interact with, among others, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, the Texas A&M University System, and other member institutions within the System.
- Develop strategies for faculty recruitment, retention, and professional development.
- Recommend faculty for tenure and promotion.
- Implement and ensure compliance with System policies pertaining to the institution.
- Collaborate with the Divisions of Student Engagement and Enrollment Management on issues pertaining to student conduct and student recruitment/matriculation, respectively.
The position is an on-campus position as it is expected the Provost will be a visible member of the TAMIU and Laredo communities. This document represents the major duties and responsibilities of this job and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
It is required that the selected candidate possesses:
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution;
- A significant record of teaching, research, and scholarly achievement commensurate with appointment to the rank of full professor;
- Progressive administrative experience with increasing responsibility in a higher education setting; and
- A record of proven success in leading initiatives and supervising others.
In addition, the selected candidate should demonstrate:
- Exemplary leadership and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to provide visionary leadership and strategic thinking;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- An ability to interact professionally with University personnel, the general public, and students.
- Strong planning and organizational ability;
- An aptitude for multitasking, prioritizing, and working with deadlines; and
- A respect for confidentiality and the utmost personal and professional integrity.
About Texas A&M International University
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) is an international university, poised at the Gateway to México and serving as the cultural and intellectual hub of a vibrant multilingual and multicultural community. Now a regional university of choice, TAMIU is home to five colleges/schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business, the College of Education, the College of Nursing and Health Sciences with its Dr. F. M. Canseco School of Nursing, and University College.
A Member of The Texas A&M University System, TAMIU provides over 8,400 students, the majority first-generation, with a learning environment anchored by the highest-quality programs built on a solid academic foundation in the arts and sciences. To fulfill its mission, the University offers a range of baccalaureate and masters programs and the Doctor of Philosophy degree in International Business and the Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice. Programs focus on developing undergraduate and graduate offerings with a progressive international agenda for global study and understanding across all disciplines. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. To see the various program accreditations, please visit: https://go.tamiu.edu/accreditation.
TAMIU prepares students for leadership roles in an increasingly complex, culturally diverse state, national, and global society. Through instruction, faculty and student research, and public service, TAMIU improves the quality of lives for citizens of the border region, the State of Texas, and national and international communities. The University’s leadership has long provided a stabilizing force in the University's dynamic growth, carefully evaluating and maintaining its progress and positive direction. For more facts, rankings, and accolades, please see: https://go.tamiu.edu/accolades.
The campus has completed Phase VII of its Master Plan with its crowning jewel, the Academic Innovation Center with state-of-the art laboratories. Also part of the complex is the Trailblazer Tower, the tallest structure on TAMIU’s campus. As a whole, the TAMIU built environment represents an investment in Texas’ higher education of over $250 million. Plans for Phase VIII including a new Health Science Education Research Center and an expansion of the Western Hemispheric Trade Center are currently underway. The University is recognized as the primary catalyst for creative change and dynamic community growth, powered by widening access to accessible, affordable, and exceptional higher education at TAMIU. Likewise, the University’s outreach to surrounding rural communities is eagerly anticipated and received. The University is strongly positioned to continue to deliver its cherished mission and aggressively seeks out opportunities to serve and better.
About Laredo, Texas
One of the state’s and nation’s fastest growing communities, Laredo is a diverse city with a colorful environment and tropical climate that affords a pleasant lifestyle for all. Outdoor activities are possible year-round in the city’s abundant neighborhood parks, and celebrations, festivals, and cultural opportunities abound. Steeped in a shared bilingual and bicultural history, Laredo’s identity is hallmarked by seven sovereign flags. A downtown revitalization project is currently underway and major commercial development projects are committed. While Laredo values its unique shared history, it is eager to explore new and exciting opportunities to advance, engage and grow the surrounding county, region and state.
Located 156 miles south of San Antonio, 158 miles west of Corpus Christi, and 153 miles north of Monterrey, Nuevo León, México, Laredo is the nation’s largest inland port and anchors an enviable crossroads of international business and life. Niche has recognized Laredo as one of its Top 50 Cities, noting its low cost of living and quality public schools, and SmartAsset just recently recognized Laredo as the 7th safest city among the top 100 safest cities in the nation.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting Texas A&M International University in its search for the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to March 31, 2023. For additional information, please contact:
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Jacob Anderson, Senior Principal
Jack McGrew, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 ext. 111
email@example.com || firstname.lastname@example.org
Texas A&M International University shall provide equal opportunity for employment to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and shall strive to achieve full and equal employment opportunity for its employees.