Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Dakota State University seeks a dynamic leader to serve as Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. DSU is an innovative, thriving institution with a specific mission to prepare cyber-savvy graduates who are leaders, innovators, problem solvers, and learners that live lives of positive purpose and consequence in all fields, including the liberal and scientific arts. We have a rising vision for DSU, and the dean will embrace this vision and lead the college to flourish and grow. The successful candidate will lead by example, with recognized experience teaching in an Arts & Science field and a strong record of scholarship, research, or creative works. Because of the versatile nature of Arts & Sciences, the successful candidate will be a hard-working innovator able to foster collaboration that nurtures development of interdisciplinary programs, using forward-thinking ideas to connect the Arts and Sciences with the technology-focus of our mission. Dakota State has a long history of commitment to undergraduate research, with numerous Goldwater Scholars and student presentations at national and international research conferences. The dean will support this strategic imperative, so familiarity with grants and external funding will be important. Excellent communication skills are desired to engage faculty and serve as a strong advocate of Arts and Sciences on campus and in the region.
Information about the College of Arts and Sciences:
Technology is front and center in our arts and sciences programs at Dakota State University. Our state-of-the-art facilities include numerous computer and science labs, and instructional use of various learning technologies are expected in the classroom.
The College of Arts & Sciences touches every student enrolled at DSU by providing the bulk of the general education courses. Additionally, the College of Arts & Sciences offers exciting majors such as Computer Game Design (with the Beacom College of Computer and Cyber Sciences), Digital Arts & Design, Cyber Leadership & Intelligence, Biology, Biology Education, Math, Math Education, Analytical Science, English for New Media, English Education, and General Studies.
Information about DSU:
Dakota State University is a special focus STEM university with an emphasis in computing information technologies and cyber security across all areas of human endeavor. Over the years, DSU has established its reputation as a distinguished regional and national leader in computer science and cybersecurity education and research. We embrace opportunities to provide our students, faculty, and future collaborators with the most innovative technologies and facilities, to produce transformative research and development, and create an outstanding base of faculty, students, and programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. levels. DSU holds three prestigious designations from the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as National Centers of Academic Excellence (CAE) in Cyber Defense, Research, and Cyber Operations.
Among the exciting things happening at Dakota State we have a major public-private partnership in DSU RISING, a gift-driven campaign in two phases, totaling $130 Million. DSU RISING has already produced several major new opportunities and facilities on campus: The Beacom Institute of Technology, the Madison CyberLabs (cyber-related research and technology application across many industries), the Applied Research Lab (DSU-ARL), and the Paulson Cyber Incubator and Entrepreneurial Center.
New projects funded and in process include the extension of DSU’s Applied Research Corporation (ARC) to a new facility in Sioux Falls, expansion of the number of graduates from the Beacom College of Computer and Cyber Sciences, and the launch of the statewide Governors’ Cyber Academy (K-12 cyber education program).
- Provides leadership and develops faculty within the College of Arts and Sciences, including participating in recruitment, selection, orientation, retention, professional development, and performance reviews.
- Responsible for the supervision of various programs, including the development of new programs, curricula, syllabi, teaching assignments, room assignments and the evaluation of the effectiveness of new and existing courses, instructors, programs, or services.
- Establish priorities and plans for program development and faculty development.
- Ensure that administrative processes in college comply with the terms of University policy (i.e. workload, P&T evaluations, Annual reviews, faculty handbook).
- Coordinate or schedule semester course offerings.
- Prepare budget requests reflecting the need and priorities of the College.
- Oversee and execute the ongoing administration of the allocated budget.
- Formulate short- and long-range plans for the meeting the goals of the College.
- Work in collaboration with other Deans across campus to define and articulate areas of joint responsibility to fulfill the general mission of the University.
- Collaborate with members of Admissions and Student Affairs to oversee College undergraduate and graduate student recruitment, advising, and retention activities.
- Earned doctorate degree or recognized terminal degree in a related field from an accredited university.
- Credentials commensurate with an appointment at the rank of associate or full professor.
- Demonstrated leadership, administrative, and supervisory experience, including conducting faculty and staff reviews and mediating faculty issues, grievances, and appeals.
- Highly developed skills in written and oral communication, human relations, and creative problem solving.
- Commitment to enhancing and maintaining diversity among faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to identify, resolve and consult on a wide variety of administrative and personnel issues.
- Commitment to continuous improvement of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated experience in budget oversight for academic areas.
- Knowledge or experience with the Higher Learning Commission accreditation process is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing general education curriculum and assessment.
- Demonstrated experience with undergraduate research is preferred.
- Keen understanding of retention strategies.
- Flexible benefits package – including paid time off, health and retirement benefits
- Life and disability insurance options
- Reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities
- Professional liability coverage
DSU accepts applications through an online employment site. To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcripts, and contact information for at least three professional references.
Candidates who apply by March 16, 2023 will receive primary consideration
About Dakota State University:
DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
DSU is committed to equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE