Vice President for Student Engagement
- Texas A&M International University
- Laredo, TX
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) seeks nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Student Engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Vice President for Student Engagement serves as the University’s the chief student life officer and is responsible for directing and coordinating all aspects of student life. As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the Vice President reports directly to the President of Texas A&M International University. It is expected that the Vice President for student engagement will:
- Provide forward-thinking and strategic leadership for a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to support student success.
- Oversee, support, and lead the areas of Student Conduct and Community Engagement (including food pantry), Student Orientation, Leadership and Engagement (including student organizations), Recreational Sports, Student Counseling and Disability Services, and Student Health Services.
- Propose, develop, and implement evidence-based practices, programs, and policies to increase student development, co-curricular learning, retention, and success.
- Develop division goals and objectives on an annual basis and implement procedures and programs to meet those goals and objectives.
- Help establish a student culture where diversity is encouraged and where students learn to respect differences, take responsibility for their actions and exercise leadership.
- Conduct periodic evaluation of operations, personnel and resource use and programs.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate directors and support staff.
- Oversee the budgets of the Division of Student Engagement and ensure compliance with University and System policies and procedures.
- Counsel students and parents on the benefits of TAMIU and higher education.
- Work with the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and academic units to align and enhance the academic experience through co-curricular programs.
- Communicate University policies and procedures pertaining to students and student activities, including internal judicial and disciplinary procedures, the Student Handbook, and other documents.
- Collaborate with community leaders to provide external learning opportunities for students and increase awareness of the benefits of TAMIU.
- Collaborate with third-party partner for student housing on programming.
- Meet with student housing third-party partner regularly to achieve University occupancy goals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
It is required that the selected candidate possesses a Master’s degree or higher (Doctoral degree preferred) and record of proven success related to the needs of students and in leading initiatives. In addition, it is preferred that the selected candidate has the ability to:
- Be a visionary leader with strategic thinking.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing in both English and Spanish.
- Interact professionally with University personnel, the general public, and the students served.
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate strong planning and organizational skills.
- Multitask, prioritize, and work with deadlines.
- Exemplify effective leadership skills.
- Maintain confidentiality.
About Texas A&M International University
Texas A&M International University is an international university, poised at the Gateway to Mexico and serving as the cultural and intellectual hub of a vibrant multilingual and multicultural community. Now a regional University of choice, TAMIU is home to five colleges: the College of Arts and Sciences, the A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business, the College of Education and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences with its Dr. F. M. Canseco School of Nursing and University College.
A Member of The Texas A&M University System, TAMIU provides over 8,400 students with a learning environment anchored by the highest quality programs built on a solid academic foundation in the arts and sciences. To fulfill its mission, the University offers a range of baccalaureate and masters programs and the Doctor of Philosophy degree in International Business and the Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice. Programs focus on developing undergraduate and graduate offerings with a progressive international agenda for global study and understanding across all disciplines.
TAMIU prepares students for leadership roles in an increasingly complex, culturally diverse state, national, and global society. TAMIU provides a learning environment built on a solid academic foundation in the arts and sciences. The University offers a range of baccalaureate and master’s programs, the Doctor of Philosophy degree in International Business and the Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice. In addition, the University pursues a progressive agenda for global study and understanding across all disciplines. Through instruction, faculty and student research, and public service, TAMIU improves the quality of lives for citizens of the border region, the State of Texas, and national and international communities.
The campus has completed Phase VII of its Master Plan with its crowning jewel, the Academic Innovation Center with state-of-the-art laboratories. Also part of the complex is the Trailblazer Tower, the tallest structure on TAMIU’s campus. As a whole, the TAMIU built environment represents an investment in higher education in Texas of over $250 million.
Laredo is 156 miles south of San Antonio, 158 miles west of Corpus Christi, and 153 miles north of Monterrey, Nuevo León, México. It is located at an enviable crossroads of international business and life and its history hallmarked by seven sovereign flags. A downtown revitalization project is currently underway and major commercial development projects are committed. One of the state’s and nation’s fastest growing communities, Laredo is a diverse city with a colorful environment and tropical climate that affords a pleasant lifestyle for all.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting Texas A&M International University in the search for the Vice President for Student Engagement. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to March 27, 2023. For additional information, please contact:
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Jacob Anderson, Senior Principal
Jack McGrew, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 ext. 111
firstname.lastname@example.org || email@example.com
Texas A&M International University shall provide equal opportunity for employment to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and shall strive to achieve full and equal employment opportunity for its employees.
More search results
Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Chief Financial Officer, Vice President for Finan…
Vice President for Equity and Inclusive Excellence
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Ringling College of Art and Design
Vice President for Enrollment Management and Stra…