Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs - WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicince
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine seeks an Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs. The ideal candidate will serve as a resource for faculty by assisting and supporting their career advancement and managing all faculty-related issues. The office of Faculty Affairs interacts directly with the Department Chairs and Program Directors and collaborates with the Offices of Research, Clinical Affairs, Administration and Finance, Health Equity, Culture, Academic Affairs, and Institutional Advancement to support all of the School Medicine’s programs and initiatives.
The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs is expected to provide strong leadership to advance faculty excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service; promote the medical school’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; and partner with the dean and other senior leaders to develop and oversee policies and procedures that involve all the faculty.
The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs serves at the pleasure of the dean of the medical school; demonstrates the highest level of personal and professional commitment, enthusiasm, integrity, and support of the medical school and its mission, vision, and values; aligns with and supports all aspects of the medical school; and strives to achieve excellence in all aspects of operations. Specifically, the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs is expected to:
- Oversee and facilitate all processes for faculty matters including recruitment, appointment, retention, reappointment, evaluation, promotion, professional development, recognition, awards, compliance, and conflict resolution.
- Oversee all personnel actions related to faculty including advising the process through the Appointment and Promotion Committee for faculty appointments, reappointments, and promotions.
- Assist department chairs in developing the initial letter of offer for employed faculty.
- Assist department chairs in evaluation of faculty and promoting faculty wellness.
- Work with the Associate Dean for Administration and Finance and Human Resources to review salary levels and ensure salary equity for employed faculty.
- In collaboration with department chairs, develop and manage faculty orientation and mentoring.
- In collaboration with the Department of Medical Education, provide professional development to promote faculty activities related to teaching.
- Oversee the annual faculty evaluation process and ensure compliance with WMed policies and procedures.
- Assist in developing policy related to faculty issues.
- Maintain the faculty database for faculty and assures that information is accurate and complete.
- Oversee the annual Faculty Handbook review for updates.
- Report to the dean as a member of the medical school executive leadership team and serve as a member of the medical school Affiliates Committee, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Standing Committee, and Faculty Academic Council.
- Work collaboratively with the medical school senior leadership team and department chairs.
- Work with Human Resources on personnel issues involving employed faculty.
- Participates as a member of the medical school senior leadership team and on appropriate committees as assigned.
- Design, develop, implement, and evaluate faculty orientation, development, and mentoring programs and initiatives focused on career development to support medical school programs.
- Oversees the processes for faculty recruitment, appointment, evaluation, promotion, and recognition and retention.
- Assures that the Faculty Handbook is complete and accurate.
- Maintains the faculty database for faculty and provides reports as needed on faculty achievements.
- Works to promote the Kalamazoo area and the medical school as a major medical and health education center; supports recruitment and retention of medical care providers in the medical school and in the community.
- Designs, develops, implements, and evaluates processes to achieve medical school goals for faculty diversity.
- Performs such other duties as may be necessary and in the best interest of the medical school and which the Dean may from time to time require.
- Availability to work occasional overtime on weekends or evenings to complete time-sensitive projects.
- Acquires knowledge for new technology and policy/procedure revisions.
- All other duties as assigned.Qualifications:
Education and experience:
- A Ph.D., M.D., D.O. or other doctoral degree is required.
- Must meet the qualifications for faculty appointment in the medical school at the level of Professor.
- Must have demonstrated experience and accomplishments in leadership roles at a medical school.
- A proven record of accomplishment of progressive management experience and demonstrated success in providing strong leadership in medical education in a complex academic clinical setting is highly desirable.
License or certification:
- Physicians with clinical responsibilities must maintain current licensure or eligibility to practice medicine in the State of Michigan.
Interested candidates are asked to include a cover letter or letter of intent that includes a statement of commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Questions, nominations, and confidential inquiries should be directed to Kendra Thompson, Managing Consultant at Merritt Hawkins, an AMN Healthcare Company at Kendra.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans, and actively strives to increase diversity within its community. We provide a drug- and tobacco-free workplace.
More search results
Chief Financial Officer, Vice President for Finan…
Dean, College of Social Sciences, Humanities, and…
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Dean, College of Computing, Engineering, and Scie…
University of North Carolina Wilmington
University of Southern Indiana
Professor of Dramatic Writing
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design