VICE PRESIDENT FOR ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE
- Bowie State University
- Bowie, Maryland
Bowie State University invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer. President Aminta H. Breaux’s vision for Bowie State University includes a strong focus on institutional viability, innovation, academic excellence and student success. The next Vice President for Administration and Finance will be an experienced fiscal leader who will work closely with the President, the Provost and other members of the President's cabinet to provide strategic stewardship of the university’s fiscal, human and physical resources in support of the university’s mission and vision.
As a member institution of the University System of Maryland (USM), Bowie State University is building a dynamic future on a proud heritage. Founded in 1865, Bowie State is the oldest Historically Black College/University in Maryland and one of the ten oldest in the country. It is also a diverse university whose 6,148 students, along with faculty and staff, represent many ethnic and cultural backgrounds. In addition to its 22 undergraduate majors, Bowie State offers 35 master’s, doctoral, and advanced certification programs with specific focus on science, technology, business, education and related disciplines.
Bowie State is in the midst of one of the nation's most exciting metropolitan areas, within easy reach of Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. At the same time, it boasts a serene campus on a 300-acre suburban wooded tract. With seven residence halls, the University is a hub of 24/7 undergraduate life, yet it also offers convenient evening classes and online courses to serve employed professionals seeking to move ahead in their careers.
The Vice President for Administration and Finance (VPAF) will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in planning and developing the University’s $128 million operating budget;
- Be accountable and responsible for ensuring ethical administrative, financial, and business practices in keeping with National Association College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) standards and General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Provide leadership and oversight of the following offices: Budget and Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, Facilities Management, Auxiliary Services, Controller, Conference Services, Student Center, and Student Accounts (Bursar);
- Serve in an ex officio capacity on the Board of Directors for the Bowie State University Foundation, Inc.
- Oversee the university’s master planning process the capital improvement program;
- Provide leadership for the President’s Climate Commitment sustainability efforts;
- Ensure overall compliance with health and safety regulations and policies for the campus;
- Oversee university audits and ensure compliance with University System, state and federal standards;
- Work collaboratively with the President to enhance university resources and revenue;
- Work effectively with local, state and federal agencies and businesses to advance the priorities of the institution; and
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Preferred Qualities and Skills
The VPAF will play an integral role in advancing the mission and vision of Bowie State University and is a key member of the senior administrative team. The VPAF must be a creative, collaborative leader and innovative thinker with a strong commitment to transparency and accountability. The VPAF must also have an appreciation for and commitment to shared governance. Additional qualifications, experience and personal characteristics include:
- At least ten years of experience as a proven senior administrator in a higher education, foundation, government or business organization of relevant size and complexity;
- Master’s degree in business administration or related discipline; CPA preferred.
- Expertise and a strong record of success in budget development and implementation and familiarity with business and finance operations in a public higher education system;
- Innovative and entrepreneurial thinker with the ability to focus strategically on opportunities and as well as outcomes;
- Outstanding leadership and management skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively complex financial information in lay terms to different stakeholders;
- Keen understanding of the changing landscape and trends in higher education;
- Experience negotiating and implementing collective bargaining agreements and ability to lead effectively in a unionized environment;
- Proven success managing large-scale organization that includes financial services and facilities professionals;
- Experience with major construction, renovation and maintenance programs;
- Understanding of facilities management, capital construction, and campus master planning;
- An understanding of and genuine commitment to the mission of a public comprehensive historically black higher education institution;
- Record of successful leadership and accomplishment in managing and implementing major business and financial systems, auxiliary enterprises and human resources;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, and ability to attract and lead a diverse workforce;
- Collaborative work style and commitment to data-driven decision-making;
- Highest standards for personal and professional excellence and unquestionable integrity.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered. Initial screening to begin April 30, 2018. Recruitment for the position of Vice President for Administration and Finance is open until the position is filled.
Office of Human Resources
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request to the Office of Equity Compliance at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Clery Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus
More search results
Assistant Clinical Professor, Counseling – Phoeni…
Northern Arizona University
Assistant Clinical Professor, Counseling Psycholo…
Northern Arizona University
Assistant VP, Student Health & Wellness
University of Houston
Associate Director and Associate Professor
University of Tennessee
Southwest Health Equity Research Collaborative No…
Northern Arizona University