Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff:
This position supports the Chancellor in leading an effective senior management team, managing the team's agenda, prioritizing initiatives, and securing materials to advance discussion by the Cabinet. The position also provides appropriate consultation with affected individuals and groups following-up to ensure effective implementation. The Chief of Staff also ensures that targeted research and analysis on important issues is conducted and coordinates production of briefing materials on significant issues with the Chancellor.
This position requires an understanding of and a commitment to the Chancellor's administrative operating principles and core values (communication, collaboration, integrity, accountability, innovation, and service). An understanding and appreciation for UNCP's institutional history, university policies, and organizational culture are also important in support of the Chancellor's initiatives and goals.
The Chief of Staff works continually for the long-term interests of the university through the development of policies and solutions to complex problems. This requires an ability to understand existing policies in significant detail and appreciate the likely consequences of proposed initiatives during implementation.
An ability to analyze complex institutional and interpersonal situations and to assess and develop possible alternative solutions is also required. In that regard, strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to listen to and appreciate alternative points of view is essential. Excellence in written and oral communication is expected, as well an ability to convey complex ideas in a concise and comprehensible fashion under time-constrained conditions.
This position also requires a capacity for sound judgment, maturity, tact, diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality, and a strong sense of integrity, as well as emotional intelligence, flexibility, creativity, strong attention to detail, tolerance for ambiguity, and a sense of humor.
The Chief of Staff performs the following:
• Oversees effective execution of staff functions of the Chancellor's Office, including daily operations, and office budget maintenance. The Chief of Staff will be responsible for the overall management of Chancellor's Office staff, including the division of responsibilities within the office, training and professional development, and completion of annual performance evaluations.
• Plays a central role in the institutional planning process to develop and implement five year institutional plans, aligning institutional resources to support the achievement of the goals and objectives included therein.
• Establishes priorities in directing the Chancellor's personal time and attention and to ensure appropriate and timely information is provided to facilitate efficient and effective decision-making, following-up as required during implementation.
• Leads and completes special projects and assignments as required, particularly those having inter-divisional implications.
• Plans and organizes weekly Cabinet meetings and planning retreats. Ensures actions identified in Cabinet meetings are tracked and completed.
• Oversees and manages the annual goal setting and job target process for the Chancellor.
• Works with the Office of the General Counsel to ensure that proposed changes in University policy or procedures are fully vetted before being scheduled for Cabinet discussion and the Chancellor's final consideration.
• Works with Office of Institutional Research and other divisions as needed to prepare annual performance benchmarks for review by the Board of Trustees.
• Undertakes various internal and external communication efforts on behalf of the Chancellor.
• Works closely with the University Communications and Marketing Office on the development and implementation of key communication strategies and messages to be conveyed by the Chancellor in documents such as speeches, newsletters, university addresses, and other reports as necessary.
• Works closely with the VC for Advancement and the Executive Director of University Communications and Marketing to represent the Chancellor's interests and to assure all events are conducted at the level of excellence that is expected by the Chancellor.
• Works with dedicated staff in planning campus visits by individuals or groups of individuals from the Board of Governors and state and federal legislatures.
• Serves as institutional representative on selected internal committees and external civic groups, boards, and councils as determined by the Chancellor.
• Acts as the Chancellor's liaison to faculty, staff, and administration of the university on internal projects and initiatives.
Management Preferences: A background in one or more of the following is preferred: strategic planning, organizational development, organizational planning, project management, or policy development/ Implementation. Experience in working directly or indirectly with a governing board of an institution is an asset.
This position is Mandatory Personnel. Mandatory Employees: Employees whose presence has been determined to be mandatory to University operations during certain types of adverse weather or emergency events.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Per the requirements of the Clery Act of 1998, the Campus Security Report can be found at:
Applicants needing assistance with or who have questions about the application process are asked to contact Joanne McMillan, HR Consultant for Employment at (910) 521-6279 or firstname.lastname@example.org
More search results
Dean of the Graduate School & Associate Vice Pres…
Betty T. Asher
Assistant Professor; Grape Disease Ecology and Ep…
Associate/Full Professor Accounting - Director of…
UW-Milwaukee Lubar School of Business
Visiting Assistant Professor in Early Modern Peni…
New York University
Associate Dean for Student Access and Achievement
CUNY LaGuardia Community College