Digital 3D Artist / Visual Effects / Games – Department of Communication Arts
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Art
- Richmond, VA 23284
This full-time, 9-month position is at the rank of Assistant Professor, is tenure-eligible, and begins August 16, 2023.
Application Deadline: For best consideration, applications are due Monday, January 23, 2023.
The VCUarts Department of Communication Arts seeks an experienced Concept Designer for a nine-month tenure-eligible faculty Assistant Professor. Our next colleague member will be part of a tight-knit community of inspirational educators and will help teach a range of concept design-related courses within Communication Arts.
Department of Communication Arts:
Grounded in a solid foundation of drawing, Communication Arts is the most popular of the visual arts departments within VCU's highly regarded School of the Arts. With a rich history in Illustration, Communication Arts now includes a minor in VFX and various courses in comics and game development.
● Teach undergraduate courses in Concept Design and similar, including demonstration and critique.
● Engage, inspire, and mentor students from diverse backgrounds on a wide range of projects.
● Work with colleagues to develop new curriculum in Concept Design, Illustration, Narrative Visual Media, and/or similar.
● Foster collaborative teaching opportunities and innovative educational experiences.
● Mentor students in groups and as individuals to think critically, solve novel creative problems, and to prepare to navigate the world as a professional artist.
● An annual teaching load will be determined in consultation with the Chair of the Department of Communication Arts. In order to support progress towards promotion and tenure, it is expected that the teaching load for research active, tenure-track faculty will be two courses in the fall semester and two courses in the spring semester, while holding a tenure-eligible faculty appointment. Course assignments will change based on demand and will be at the discretion of the Chair.
● Foster a fair, welcoming, and accessible learning environment for all students.
● Maintain an active and well-defined professional practice through engagement with industry, exhibition spaces, or similar high-profile international projects.
● Maintain technological skills and an interest in emerging software and practices relevant to professional concept design and entertainment art.
● The faculty member will have the potential to seek and secure external funding, as appropriate, to advance their creative research agenda. Creative research activities should be related to the department’s curriculum, and be consistent with and support the broader mission and initiatives of the department, School, and University.
● Contribute to and assist with initiatives supporting students, the department, the school, and the university.
● Support recruitment initiatives for undergraduate programs.
● Foster community engagement opportunities.
● Engage in service to the profession.
● Serve on department/School/University committees.
● Additional responsibilities assigned by the Chair or university administration.
● MFA/MA and/or high-level training and industry experience that equates to graduate degree. Those with an BFA/BA and a strong record of professional practice and industry experience are encouraged to apply.
● Solid drawing ability, including from imagination, from observation, and with use of perspective.
● Impeccable understanding of shape design and form for characters, creatures, props, vehicles, and environments.
● Ability to adapt to a wide range of visual styles and projects.
● Solid skills in composition and color.
● Capable of being both a reliable team player and an independent operator.
● Evident experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
● Art Direction experience on entertainment projects.
● Experience in 3D software such as Zbrush, Maya, Houdini, Unreal, or similar.
● Ability to maintain and build upon current connections to the fashion industry and its professionals, and use these connections to create opportunities for students and to elevate the profile of the department.
To apply, please submit application materials via the VCU Jobs Website. Only electronic applications will be accepted.
The following documents should be submitted:
● A Letter of Interest
● Current CV/Resume
● A list of five current references including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses (references will not be contacted prior to applicant’s approval)
● Portfolio of work— a link to appropriate selections of documentation of the applicant's experience in their area of expertise. This could include traditional and/or non-traditional examples of one's work from a broad cross-section and/or combination of experience from a variety of roles within academia and/or professional settings.
● Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Please see : https://provost.vcu.edu/faculty/prospective/
Review of applications begins January 23, 2023 and continues until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications are due by January 23, 2023.
Ranked by US News & World Report as a top-five arts and design school, VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) includes over 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students with nationally recognized programs in design, visual and performing arts, and has an annual budget of $38 million and an endowment of more than $13.5 million. Students are taught by over 175 full-time teaching and research faculty members and the school is supported by over 60 staff members that assist in daily processes. The School includes two campuses; one in Richmond and one in Doha, Qatar. The Richmond campus is located on the university’s 75-acre Monroe Park campus situated in the city’s historic Fan District. Ultimately, the work of the School of the Arts extends globally with partnerships throughout the world and across fields as diverse as the humanities, health care and business.
To read more about VCUarts: http://arts.vcu.edu
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.
More search results
Open Rank Faculty Position in Nature-based Climat…
Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability
Dean of the Neeley School of Business
Texas Christian University
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
George Mason University
Associate Dean for Academic Engagement
Carnegie Mellon University
Executive Director of Marketing