Dean of the Manship School of Mass Communication
- Louisiana State University
- Baton Rouge, LA
- Commensurate with experience
Louisiana State University seeks a well-qualified, innovative, dynamic candidate for the position of Dean of the Manship School of Mass Communication. The Manship School educates creative thinkers and leaders in digital advertising, public relations, print and broadcast journalism, and political communication through teaching, generation, cultivation, and application of skills, knowledge, and community engagement. Faculty and administration are committed to leading the study and practice of media and public affairs within an evolving technological and global society.
The Dean reports directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost and serves as the school’s Chief Executive Officer. The Dean provides ultimate administrative oversight for all aspects of academic life within the school, including strategic planning, fiscal management, diversity initiative, personnel development, academic programs, research enterprises, and student enrollment. The Dean will formulate and administer policies for the school, either on their initiative or as directed by an appropriate authority, with due consideration for the prerogatives of the faculty about educational policy. The Dean also has primary responsibilities for external initiatives, including community outreach and development.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership for all academic matters of the school, including academic degree programs and certificates, as well as recruiting, retaining, and graduating undergraduate and graduate students.
- Overseeing the school’s personnel, including hiring, caring for, and retaining faculty and staff, preparing annual evaluations, evaluating promotion and tenure dossiers, and supporting professional development.
- Demonstrating a deep commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity in its broadest terms across all school sectors, including but not limited to curriculum, programming, and representations of staff and faculty, to name a few, and effectively representing the school’s best interest internally and externally.
- Serving as the school’s lead on alumni relations and fundraising.
- Working collaboratively and collegially with faculty to advance the school’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and service to the profession.
- Representing the Manship School on the Dean’s Council.
- Overseeing the innovative Reilly Center for Media & Public Affairs, the Media Diversity Forum, three state-of-the-art research labs, and student media.
- Providing strategic direction and oversight for the operating budget and endowment.
Professional qualifications for this position include:
- A terminal degree in one of the disciplines within the Manship School or a closely related terminal degree, a Ph.D., is preferred.
- Management experience at the department chair level or higher or in a professional setting.
- A demonstrated commitment to implementing the Manship School’s 3-Year Diversity Strategic Plan and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education.
- Full professor with tenure or a record of excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, and service that will qualify for the rank of full professor in the Manship School.
- Articulates a vision for producing and understanding mass communication and media industries in the 21st century.
- Shows an understanding of and commitment to developing relevant and innovative education for today’s rapidly changing media world.
- Demonstrates the ability to listen, consider diverse opinions, and lead collegially.
- Understands both scholarly and professional aspects of the discipline.
- Supports the development of online programs and certificates in line with the faculty vision.
- Exhibits business acumen in all aspects of the school’s endeavors, including strategic planning, personnel decisions, and developing new funding sources.
- Forms and maintains partnerships with the private sector, professional organizations, and campus entities.
- Demonstrates the ability to advance the school’s best interests internally and externally.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the life cycle of faculty, including rank, promotion, tenure, and academic leave.
- Possesses the understanding of and capacity for engaging in successful and strategic fundraising.
- Demonstrates fiscal and management skills with strong organizational and interpersonal qualities to maintain and grow the Manship School of Mass Communication’s community of faculty, staff, and students.
The successful candidate for the Dean of Manship School of Mass Communication position will be an experienced and compassionate leader who has expertise in maintaining and strengthening internal and external relationships with individuals and constituencies in support of the School while also handling multiple University priorities. The Manship School is dedicated to creating an educational environment in which diversity is valued and encouraged and is working to be at the forefront of educating students and professionals on the topic of media diversity.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, LLC is assisting Louisiana State University in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted and will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. In order to assure the fullest consideration, candidates are encouraged to have complete applications submitted by February 3, 2023.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher and Associates. For a full application package, please provide a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a statement of leadership philosophy, a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement, and a list of five references. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. All applications, nominations, and inquiries will remain confidential to the extent allowed under Louisiana law. An offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Julie Holley, Search Manager & Senior Executive Search Consultant
Maggie Mayes, Executive Search Consultant
LSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
LSU believes diversity, equity, and inclusion enrich the educational experience of our students, faculty, and staff, and are necessary to prepare all people to thrive personally and professionally in a global society. We celebrate diversity and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion. We actively seek and encourage qualified applications from persons with diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. To learn more about how LSU is committed to diversity and inclusivity, please see LSU’s Diversity Statement and Roadmap. The AgCenter shares the commitment to fostering an environment of inclusion, respect, and appreciation of differences in individuals. To learn more, visit the AgCenter’s Diversity, Inclusion and Opportunity site. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resource Management (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Louisiana Revised Statute 42:31 (http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=99414) requires all unclassified employees of the state earning $100,000 or more annually to provide proof of a valid Louisiana driver’s license and that all vehicles titled in their name have been registered in the state of Louisiana. Accordingly, successful candidates impacted by La. R.S. 42:31 will be expected to comply with these requirements within 30 days of hire as a condition of employment. Employees must continue to comply throughout the duration of employment.
More search results
President of American River College
American River College
Assistant/Associate Professor, Sports Media and C…
University of Rhode Island
Open Rank Career-Line Lecturer in Accounting
University of Utah - David Eccles Business School
Seeking Professor of Practice in Games and Intera…
Michigan State University
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design