Director of Admission
- Williams College
Director of Admission
Williams College Office of Admission
About the College
Williams is a coeducational liberal arts institution located in the Berkshires of northwestern Massachusetts with access to Albany, Burlington (VT), Boston, New York City, and Montreal. Distinguished by a reputation for outstanding and inclusive teaching and scholarship, academic excellence, and exceptional alumni loyalty, the college is committed to building and supporting a diverse learning community of approximately 2,100 undergraduates.
Recruited and chosen through a highly selective admission process, undergraduates come to Williams from around the world and a wide variety of backgrounds. About 16 percent are first-generation college students, 20 percent are Pell Grant recipients, and 40 percent are U.S. students of color. Eight percent are international. The college is deeply committed to access. Half of all students receive financial aid and among aided families, the average cost is about $16,000. Many pay nothing at all, and indebtedness rates at graduation are among the nation’s lowest.
About the Position
Williams seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and forward-thinking leader to serve as Director of Admission. Reporting to the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid, the director is the senior advisor to the dean on all admission matters and provides strategic and operational leadership for the Office of Admission and its 18-member staff. The Director of Admission will succeed a longstanding director who leaves as part of his significant legacy a talented team and highly effective admission program that is poised to reach even greater heights.
The Director of Admission will work closely with the dean to enhance an admission strategy that enables the college to enroll an intellectually vibrant and talented student body that is diverse with regard to gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and religion, among other factors. To that end, the director will oversee all aspects of recruitment, evaluation, selection, and yield, and will excel at working in and supporting a community that is broadly diverse. They will collaborate with key campus stakeholders including the Office of Communications, Office of College Relations, and the Dean of the College, among others. The director will work closely with the Director of Financial Aid to identify and implement integrated initiatives that make families aware of Williams’ affordability and support the college’s need-seeking agenda. This is an exciting opportunity to join the leadership team as Williams embarks on the next generation of its admission and financial aid program.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership of the college’s admission program.
- Oversee all aspects of recruitment, evaluation, selection, and yield.
- Lead, mentor, and provide opportunities for professional growth for a team of 18 admission professionals.
- Create an open and welcoming environment that actively supports prospective students and their families.
- Manage the Office of Admission’s operating budget as well as the hiring process for all admission staff.
- Oversee reporting to internal and external constituencies including the federal government (IPEDS, etc.), professional organizations (COFHE, College Board, Common Data Set, etc.), and the Williams Office of Institutional Research.
- Represent Williams at state, regional, and national conference and policy meetings.
- Participate in all aspects of the general admission process, including: leading public presentations; recruitment travel; evaluating applications; and serving as a full-voting member of the admission committee.
- Stay abreast of national and international admission trends, and issues in higher education related to college access, affordability, and success.
- Strong understanding of the nature and aims of a selective liberal arts college.
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience in admission management, preferably at an institution with a highly selective admission program, is required.
- Strong team building skills and a record of success hiring, mentoring, managing, and supervising staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Enthusiasm for and demonstrated commitment to supporting students and families from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex issues with clarity.
- Leadership skills: Highly collaborative, dynamic, empathetic, ethical, patient, and fun.
- Evidence of creativity and innovation in problem solving and strategy implementation.
- Experience using admission and enrollment data to measure and assess progress toward strategic goals and revise practices as needed.
- Demonstrated aptitude for counseling students and families through the college application process.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, and an ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Proficiency with common software programs, including Microsoft Office, and admission management systems; experience with Slate is preferred.
- A willingness to work extended and weekend hours during peak periods.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
We welcome applications from members of groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education, and applicants are encouraged to state in their cover letter how they will enhance the diversity of perspectives in the Office of Admission if hired. For optimal consideration, please submit resume materials by March 30, 2018. Review of resumes will continue until the position is filled.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
To apply, please visit: https://staff-careers.williams.edu/psp/cangate/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=301500&PostingSeq=1
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.
More search results
Assistant Professor; Grape Disease Ecology and Ep…
Associate/Full Professor Accounting - Director of…
UW-Milwaukee Lubar School of Business
Visiting Assistant Professor in Early Modern Peni…
New York University
Associate Dean for Student Access and Achievement
CUNY LaGuardia Community College
Vice President for Enrollment Management and Oper…