- CUNY School of Professional Studies
- New York City, NY
Job ID 25997
Location School of Professional Studies
Full/Part Time Full-Time
For over 15 years, the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) has been leading online education in New York. Notable for offering the most online bachelor’s and master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and for serving transfer students as the University system’s only undergraduate all-transfer college, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change careers.
The School’s growth has been remarkable, with twenty-four degrees launched since 2006. Enrollment has risen by more than 30% in the last four years to over 4,000 students in the credit-bearing programs. Thousands more are enrolled in non-degree and grant-funded workplace learning programs. In addition, the School has an active alumni network and has established the CUNY SPS Foundation, which offers multiple scholarship opportunities to current students.
CUNY SPS has consistently been named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top online institutions. This year, the School was ranked #10 in the nation on the publisher’s list of the 2022 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
The CUNY SPS Office of Human Resources invites applications for a Benefits Manager position in the Office of Human Resources. Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Benefits Manager provides a wide range of employee related services to the School with a focus on employee benefits, and, time and leave. This role is customer-centric and highly interactive across all employee cohorts.
This is an excluded position.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the Benefits Manager’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Partner with HR leadership team to execute strategic School-wide and departmental initiatives.
- Manage all day-to-day administrative functions for all employee benefits activities across the entirety of an employee’s life-cycle.
- Ensure and provide timely and thorough customer-centric follow up and guidance to all employee cohorts on benefits and time and leave matters.
- Interpret and administer collective bargaining agreements and CUNY policies and procedures (i.e., CUNY benefits policies and programs, CUNY-PSC contract, White Collar contract, Blue Collar contract, NYS Civil Service laws, CUNY Personnel Rules and Regulations, Worker’s Compensation, etc.) as they relate to benefits in order to ensure compliance. Provide training and counsel on same.
- Interpret time and leave rules and regulations for all employee cohorts according to CUNY policy. Serve as HR lead to work closely with the time and leave system vendor and CUNY SPS IT for any and all updates and maintenance.
- Manage, evaluate and participate in new hire orientations; conduct workshops/trainings; and, manage and participate in annual benefits open enrollment events.
- Produce and maintain an annual calendar of benefits related events, audits, trainings and workshops. Maintain annual calendar for cyclical benefits communications. Draft all benefits related correspondence and communications and maintain a communications portfolio.
- Advise and assist on employee relations matters.
- Support managers and supervisors in resolving employee-related sensitive and confidential issues.
- Evaluate current systems and make recommendations to streamline and digitize processes with a customer-centric focus.
- Act as liaison to University Benefits Office, University Payroll Office, New York City Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS), New York City Employees’ Retirement System (NYCERS), CUNY-PSC Welfare Fund and other welfare funds, Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) and health insurance vendors; and represent CUNY SPS at all UBO meetings.
- Until further notice, work will be performed in a hybrid manner with 70% onsite presence.
- As of April 1, 2022, employees in select titles must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless granted a religion accommodation or a medical exemption.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required.
The preferred candidate will have:
- At least six years of progressively responsible benefits related experience in CUNY or similar higher education setting.
- Facility with HCM PeopleSoft (or CUNYFirst) and payroll systems. Ability to learn new systems and software quickly.
- Knowledge of NYC Health Benefits program and CUNY benefit and retirement plans.
- Experience in a unionized environment across all employee classifications.
- Proven customer service orientation, with high attention to detail and ability to follow-up.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize work to ensure assignments are completed in a timely manner.
- Ability to foster a sense of community across a diverse population, and, a commitment to our campus values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to negotiate and successfully manage confidential matters for all levels of staff.
- Strong collaboration and communications skills, detail oriented, team player.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Manages a portfolio of Human Resources programs and operations at the College level.
- Assumes responsibility for delivery of one or more human resources programs, which may include recruitment, performance management, labor relations, pay administration, recordkeeping, and/or human resources technology
- Manages staff responsible for carrying out operations in the Human Resources office
- Directly supports College department chairs and managers in staff planning, recruiting, hiring, and resolving sensitive personnel issues regarding their employees
- Provides guidance on the impact of laws and regulations, CUNY policies, and collective bargaining agreements
- Provides outreach to employees and provides communications such as meetings, newsletters, and web sites
- Compiles accurate and well-organized reports
- Assists management with developing policies, procedures, and programs to support Human Resources' objectives
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: HR Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $93,491 - $104,057 commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
- Employees hired on or after October 1, 2022, and their eligible dependents, will only be eligible to enroll in the EmblemHealth HIP HMO Preferred Plan, and must remain in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan for the first year (365 days) of employment.
- After 365 days of employment, the employee will have the option of either remaining in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan or selecting a different health plan within 30 days before the end of the 365-day period. If a new health plan is selected, it will be effective on the 366th day. Only after the 365th day can the employee participate in any Annual Fall Transfer Period.
- An employee who needs to request an exemption from the required enrollment in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan can do so by submitting a HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form to EmblemHealth directly. An employee, or eligible dependent, must meet certain criteria in order to submit the request and it must be approved by EmblemHealth before the exemption is granted. The HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form and HIP HMO service area are available on the EmblemHealth website.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit CUNY.JOBS and search for this vacancy using Job ID # 25997 or Title. From our job posting system, select "Apply Now”, create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information.
• Applicants must attach a resume and cover letter.
December 27, 2022
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
More search results
Secretary of the Board of Trustees
University of Pittsburgh
Lowell Chair in Economic Geology
University of Arizona
Assistant Director of Enrollment
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
Dean of the College of Arts and Letters
San Diego State University
Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Develop…
University of Mississippi