Assistant Professor, Design and Technical Theatre, specializing in Lighting for the Theatre
FACULTY POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Theatre and Film
Bowling Green State University is a tier-one, public university serving 19,000 students on two campuses in northwest Ohio. The University has nationally recognized programs and research in the natural and social sciences, education, arts, business, health and wellness, humanities and applied technologies. BGSU seeks talented individuals to join our community in Bowling Green, Ohio, recognized as one of the “Best College Towns of America.”
Assistant Professor, Design and Technical Theatre, specializing in Lighting for the Theatre, full time, tenure track in the Department of Theatre and Film. This position will contribute to the design and technical theatre and general theatre curricula, and the production program.
- Primary Lighting Designer for all Theatre mainstage productions.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in lighting design and technology.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in scenic and/or sound design and technology.
- Teach introductory courses in theatre.
- Teach the undergraduate seminar sequence in theatre practice.
- Develop and maintain a trajectory of research/creative activity that leads to publication in peer-reviewed disciplinary journals and other academic outlets and/or a record of peer-reviewed/adjudicated creative activity that meets or exceeds department expectations for tenure.
- Maintain currency in the discipline through professional development.
- Provide service to the department, college, and university, as well as to the profession, at the national or international level.
- Mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
The successful candidate must have
- Satisfied all the requirements of an MFA in Theatre Lighting Design or similar program (e.g., Lighting Design and Technology, Design with concentration in lighting) by start of employment in August 2023
- College-level teaching experience as a TA or instructor of record,
- Demonstrated scholarly or creative work productivity in theatre, through one or more published or in-press peer-reviewed journal articles or book chapters in theatre, or presentations (e.g., papers, workshops, masterclasses) at regional, national or international conferences
- Professional or academic lighting design experience.
Preferred Qualifications (optional)
- Auxiliary experience in sound design, scenic design, costume design, or other relevant area of technical theatre expertise.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive and commensurate with peer institution levels for rank and position in keeping with candidate’s experience and credentials. Full benefits package available.
Expected Start Date: August 7, 2023
Credentials Required for Application
Only complete applications will be considered. For an application to be considered complete, please submit the following:
- Cover letter that articulates experience to date and professional goals for the future.
- Statement of teaching and research/creative interests.
- Full curriculum vitae.
- Statement on diversity in higher education that addresses how you engage others in equity, diversity, and inclusion work.
- Writing sample of 30 pages maximum (e.g., MFA thesis or doctoral dissertation chapter, or academic journal article/chapter).
- Digital portfolio (or link to portfolio) of creative work that minimally includes examples of original lighting design work with supporting documentation (e.g., light plots, lighting sections, schedules, concept statements, production photos).
- Teaching portfolio that includes a statement of teaching philosophy, at least one but no more than three sample syllabi, several examples of assignments, and student quantitative and qualitative course evaluations (if available).
- Names and contact information for three references who will provide original, current (dated within the past year) letters of recommendation (letters will only be requested for finalists).
- Transcript showing highest degree earned (official transcripts required upon offer of employment).
For a complete job description and instructions on how to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources, BGSU. If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421. BGSU policy requires finalists to authorize and pass a background investigation prior to receiving an offer of employment.
Application Deadline: Position is open until filled, but for fullest consideration, please submit a complete application by December 14, 2022
For additional information contact Marcus Sherrell, Associate Professor, Department of Theatre and Film, and Search Committee Chair, email@example.com
Bowling Green State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities regardless of age, gender identity, genetic information, religion, or sexual orientation.
Information about Program and College
BGSU is a high-research, residential university located in northwest Ohio approximately 20 miles south of Toledo, Ohio and 70 miles from Ann Arbor, Michigan and the Detroit airport. BGSU offers more than 200 undergraduate majors and programs, 47 master’s degree programs, and 17 doctoral degree programs. U.S. News and World Report names BGSU as one of the top public universities nationwide with a strong commitment to first-year programs that lead to success. Approximately 20,000 students (including 2900 graduate students) attend BGSU. Over 17% of our students identify as persons of color, and nearly 5% are international students. Of BGSU’s 1200 faculty members, 13% identify as persons of color, 4% hail from different countries. The Division of Diversity and Belonging coordinates affinity groups for faculty and staff who identify as persons of color, Latinx, LGBTQ+, and as persons with disabilities. The University is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. For more information, please visit: www.bgsu.edu.
The Department of Theatre and Film is located within the College of Arts and Sciences. The Department currently has 18 full-time faculty with national and/or international reputations, and 200 undergraduate majors and 20 graduate students. The Department offers Bachelor of Art degrees in Film Production, Film Studies, and Theatre; Bachelor of Arts in Communication degrees in Theatre, with specializations in Acting/Directing, Design and Technical Theatre, Youth Theatre, and Musical Theatre; minors in Film, Theatre, Dance, and Arts Management. We offer Master of Arts and Doctoral degrees in Theatre. We have robust production programs in both theatre and film, and we have a strong collaborative relationship with the School of Cultural and Critical Studies. There are three student organizations for students interested in film production and one for film studies; there are two student organizations for students interested in theatre, one graduate student organization, and one undergrad and graduate student organization dedicated to ensuring we create safe and fair representation and inclusion for all students. Our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee, composed of faculty and students, is dedicated to developing equitable and inclusive practices and policies. The Department of Theatre and Film is dedicated to national distinction as a creative and intellectual community that fosters personal commitment to artistic growth and practice, critical thinking, diversity and inclusion, and the centrality of liberal arts education. To that end, the faculty of the Department guide and support undergraduate and graduate students with an emphasis on these core values: Creativity, Collaboration, Communication, Commitment, and Community.
For more information, visit our web site: http: https://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/theatre-and-film.html
More search results
Open Rank Faculty Positions
The University of Maryland Baltimore County
Assistant Professor Position
The University of Maryland Baltimore County
Executive Dean of the Maine Business School
University of Maine
Vice President of Institutional Advancement, Deve…
Edward Waters University