Assistant Professor of Kinesiology [Exercise Psychology or Physiology]
Assistant Professor of Kinesiology - Exercise Psychology or Physiology
Click here to apply now
Position number: 00000939
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: East Bay
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Health Sciences
DEPARTMENT OF KINESIOLOGY
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF KINESIOLOGY
(EXERCISE PSYCHOLOGY OR PHYSIOLOGY)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Department of Kinesiology is seeking an energetic and collaborative individual to join its team to complement and strengthen existing expertise and experience. This Assistant Professor tenure-track position requires teaching courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the area of exercise psychology or exercise
physiology. We have a vibrant culture of scholarship and the successful candidate will engage in an active line of scholarship consummate with their expertise. The successful candidate will also be expected to embrace the department’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and support its commitment to professional and public service.
THE UNIVERSITY: California State University, East Bay (CSUEB), one of the 23 California
State Universities, is a comprehensive university serving the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley. It is known for award-winning programs, expert instruction, its diverse student body, and a choice of more than 100 career-focused fields of study. With an enrollment of approximately 12,500 students and 900 faculty, the University offers bachelor’s degrees in 49 fields, minors in 52 fields, master’s degrees in 34 fields, 16 credentials programs, 18 certificate options, and 1 doctoral degree program. Cal State East Bay has three campus locations: the main 342 acre campus in the Hayward hills, the Concord campus, and the downtown Oakland campus.
Cal State East Bay has a mission to support a diverse student body through academically rich and culturally relevant learning experiences. Cal State East Bay is a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) as well as an Asian American & Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) which serves a richly diverse, multicultural population of students drawn largely from regional community colleges and high schools. The successful candidate will bring with them expertise or an openness to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all students, many of who may be first-generation college students and/or working students.
THE DEPARTMENT: The Department of Kinesiology is one of five departments in the College of Education and Allied Studies. Our faculty and staff are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion with a strong emphasis on social justice. The Department received the American Kinesiology Association Inclusive Excellence Award in 2021 and seeks to build on this work. Applicants for this position must demonstrate the ability and commitment to furthering this work and that their research, teaching and service is informed and guided by diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are a vibrant department currently serving 600 Majors and in any given term around 3000 non-majors thorough lecture and physical activity classes in the General Education Program. We have a diverse student body – the university is one of the most diverse in the continental United States. We pride ourselves on our campus-wide recognition of our student-centered approach to teaching, engagement in community service, and scholarly activity.
We have 14 tenure-track/tenured faculty, two full-time instructors, over 20 part-time instructors, two laboratory technicians, three advisors, and three support staff. We are housed in the Physical Education Building which encompasses indoor and outdoor lecture and physical activity teaching spaces, two kinesiology teaching/research laboratories that have equipment for exercise physiology, biomechanics, exercise testing and prescription, and motor learning/sport psychology, a state-of-the-art Fitness Center, two exercise studios, faculty and advising office space, and a main office. We take a cross-disciplinary life-sciences, cognitive-behavioral sciences, and humanities approach to kinesiology and require a broad core for all students. We offer bachelor’s and master’s degrees and have a Physical Education Single Subject waiver option.
DUTIES OF THE POSITION: We are seeking an energetic and collaborative individual to join our team to complement and strengthen existing expertise and experience. Specific duties of the position include:
- Teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the area of exercise psychology or physiology. Our courses are offered in face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats.
- Engage in an active line of scholarship in an area consummate with the successful applicant’s expertise.
- Undertake advising responsibilities, departmental administrative and/or committee work, campus-wide committee responsibilities, and service to the community.
Please note that teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay include courses at the Hayward, Concord, and Online campuses. The policy and expectation of the California State University is that tenure-track faculty members will perform their duties within the state of California.
RANK AND SALARY: Assistant Professor. Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience. Subject to budgetary authorization. DATE OF APPOINTMENT: Fall Semester, 2023
- An earned doctorate in kinesiology or an earned doctorate in a related discipline as evidenced by specialized training and expertise in sport, physical activity, or human movement. Applicants who are ABD will be considered, but a successful ABD candidate must complete all requirements for the doctorate by the effective date of the appointment in August 2023.
- Expertise, specialized preparation, and the ability to teach in the area of exercise psychology or exercise physiology.
- Commitment to student engagement, mentoring, and success.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism across teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Appreciation of a cross-disciplinary approach to kinesiology.
- Experience working with students from socially and culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Experience supervising undergraduate and graduate students.
- Active engagement in the professional community of your discipline.
Candidates should demonstrate experience in teaching, mentoring, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate a record of scholarly activity.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applicants begins October 31, 2022. The position is considered open until filled. Applications received after October 31, 2022 cannot be guaranteed full consideration.
- A letter of application, which addresses the required and preferred qualifications and specifically addresses motivation to teach at CSUEB;
- a complete and current vita including teaching, scholarly activity, and service activities;
- materials that demonstrate your teaching record including a philosophy of teaching statement and a complete list of courses taught with brief descriptions;
- a 1-2 page diversity and equity statement sharing how you have or will incorporate diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your teaching, scholarship, and service;
- scanned copies of graduate transcripts (unofficial records are satisfactory);
- contact information for each of three letters of recommendation (requests will be generated by PageUp); and
- contact information for three telephone references.
Selected applicants will be asked to submit official transcripts at a later date.
The 1-2 page diversity and equity statement should address how you would successfully engage our diverse student population in your teaching, research, mentoring, and advising. Below are examples of evidence that demonstrates a commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) in Higher Education Guidelines/Examples, taken from San Diego State University’s Building for Inclusive Excellence (BIE) criteria document.
- Mentoring or advising of individual students from underrepresented populations
- Advising relevant student clubs or organizations
- Meaningful involvement with professional organizations or campus committees that advance underrepresented populations
- Serving on the board of a non-profit organization focused on serving underrepresented populations
- Narrative discussion or other evidence of effective mentoring or advising of students or faculty from underrepresented populations
- Narrative discussion or other evidence of own experience as member of underrepresented group or different cultural group
- Narrative discussion or other evidence of inclusive pedagogical methods
- Recognition for good teaching at prior institution with diverse student population
- Participation in workshops or other training on inclusive pedagogy
- Research addresses or incorporates underrepresented populations and communities
- Mentoring or advising of students or faculty from underrepresented groups
- Narrative discussion or other evidence of inclusive pedagogical methods that support artistic or scholarly success
- Research requires engagement with subjects from underrepresented communities
- Meaningful engagement in collaborative projects with partners from other cultures
- Research requires engagement with subjects from other cultures
- Has a body of research that specifically addresses diversity and equity within the candidate’s area of focus
You may refer questions regarding the position to:
Department of Kinesiology Main Office
California State University, East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
Office Phone No.:510-885-3061
Office Fax No.: 510-885-2423
E-Mail Address: email@example.com
Note: California State University, East Bay hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All offers of employment are contingent upon presentation of documents demonstrating the appointee’s identity and eligibility to work in accordance with provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act. A background check (including a criminal record check and prior employment verification) must be completed and cleared prior to the start of employment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CSUEB does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
This University is fully committed to the rights of students, staff and faculty with disabilities in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. For more information about the University’s program supporting the rights of our students with disabilities see: https://www.csueastbay.edu/accessibility/ For more information about accommodations for employees, contact: Iris Gallardo, Human Resources, at 510-885-2335 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Advertised: September 08, 2022 (4:00 PM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open Until Filled
More search results
Associate Prof/Professor- Novo Nordisk Research C…
University of Toronto Mississauga
Associate Professor - Curatorial Studies
University of Toronto Mississauga
Slavery and Emancipation in the Atlantic World
Wayne State University
SCADpro Academic Coordinator, Atlanta
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design