John A. Edwardson Dean, College of Engineering
- Purdue University
- West Lafayette, Indiana
John A. Edwardson Dean, College of Engineering
West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue University seeks a dynamic leader with a compelling vision for excellence to serve as the next Dean of the College of Engineering. This is a singular opportunity to lead the largest top-ranked college of engineering in the nation at a university with a track record of innovation and impact on a global scale. Purdue is seeking an energetic leader who will attract and support eminent and promising talent, inspire the College to build upon its success, and grow its diverse and inclusive community. With a new President beginning his term next year, a transformative development in Purdue’s presence in Indianapolis, and the momentum from a decade of unprecedented success, this is an exciting time in the history of the University and the College. The next Dean will have the opportunity to pursue and lead truly game- changing initiatives that will impact the state, nation, and world.
Established in 1869, Purdue is Indiana’s land-grant university, a comprehensive educational and research institution that is a member of the American Association of Universities (AAU). The West Lafayette Campus, located one hour north of Indianapolis and two hours south of downtown Chicago, has 10 academic colleges with an enrollment of more than 50,000 students. Purdue’s strengths in technology (Polytechnic Institute), Agriculture, Science, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Liberal Arts, Management, Health and Human Sciences, and Education contribute to a robust research and educational environment and complement Engineering’s world class programs. The College of Engineering has a proud tradition of pioneering research, leadership in educational innovation, and in creating programs for women and minorities in engineering that have become models for the rest of the country to emulate and follow. The Dean, reporting directly to the Provost, serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the College of Engineering and will play a central role in leading the College to the next level of preeminence.
With more than 11,000 undergraduate students and 4,600 graduate students, the College is the largest top-ranked engineering college in America and the birthplace of the National Society of Black Engineers and the Engineering Education Initiative. The more than 400 faculty in the College of Engineering include 20 members of the National Academy of Engineering, more than 150 Fellows in Engineering and Science Societies, nearly 100 distinguished and named professors, 10 recipients of the U.S. Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, and one recipient of the National Medal of Technology and Innovation. During the last campaign, Ever True, the College raised more than $1 billion in philanthropic support. The College has an endowment of more than $630 million and a research enterprise of more than $300 million per year. Purdue is proud of its more than 105,000 engineering alumni, including Neil Armstrong and many other astronauts and numerous global corporate CEOs. The College is rated among the top in the nation for the recruitment of students by industry.
- Earned doctoral degree or appropriate terminal degree
- Creative and visionary leader with proven ability to bring a complex organization together around ambitious goals
- Preeminent scholar with a rich record of academic achievement and management/supervision of academic activities
- Distinguished record of leadership and administrative accomplishments, including the recruiting and retention of an excellent and diverse faculty, staff, and students
- Demonstrated commitment to the pinnacle of academic excellence at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Commitment to the distinct mission of a public, land-grant university
- An entrepreneurial mindset, and a history of encouraging entrepreneurial action amongst faculty, staff, and students
- Understanding and appreciation of the broad range of schools and programs in Engineering
- Demonstrated ability to attract resources through sponsored programs and private donations
- Ability to develop, articulate, and communicate a clear vision for the future of engineering research, education, and engagement
- Ability to engage and lead faculty, foster interdisciplinary activities, and develop large-scale research programs both within the College of Engineering and between Engineering and other colleges in the University
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build and support high impact partnerships with other disciplines across an academic/other enterprise
- Commitment to leveraging Purdue’s engineering research, education, and entrepreneurship for regional economic growth and development
- Evidence of ability to establish high-impact collaborations with industry and private sector institutions
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the broadest sense of the term
- Demonstrated commitment to creating a culture of belonging and inclusion
- Recognition for significant accomplishments such as election to the National Academy of Engineering
- Experience related to the development and transfer of technology to create economic growth
- Experience in developing and executing compelling visions for excellence and impact at the highest level and commitment for diversity
A background check is required for employment in this position.
Candidates must have the ability to work in the US without immigration sponsorship from Purdue University.
Purdue University and the College of Engineering are committed to free and open inquiry in all matters. Candidates are encouraged to address in their cover letter how they are prepared to contribute to a climate that values free inquiry and academic freedom.
Purdue University has retained Isaacson, Miller, a national executive search firm, to assist in this search. The search will remain open until a hire is made, but for fullest consideration, applications should be submitted by November 1. All inquiries, applications and nominations should be submitted electronically and in confidence to http://www.imsearch.com/8746 .
Greg Esposito, Partner
Melissa DePretto-Behan, Senior Associate
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
More search results
Dean, School of Dance
California Institute of the Arts
The University of Alabama - Dean, School of Law
University of Alabama
Dean of the Philip Merrill College of Journalism
University of Maryland
Dean, University College
Dean of the Olin Business School
Washington University in St. Louis