Duke University’s Trinity College of Arts & Sciences seeks a Dean with intellectual and academic vision, a collegial and transparent leadership style, and a passion for educational excellence, innovation, and improvement. In addition to scholarly distinction and appropriate administrative experience, the successful candidate will be an enterprising and collaborative leader, committed to shaping Duke’s approach to arts and sciences education. In addition to leading the College, the Dean will join a collaborative University senior leadership team, working effectively with the Provost, academic Deans, and other key University leaders to support and enhance Duke’s educational mission.
Trinity College of Arts & Sciences is the heart of Duke University, second in faculty size and total budget only to Duke's School of Medicine. The College embraces the enduring philosophy of teaching and learning that provides students with a broad base of knowledge and strong values and ethics. The College enhances the liberal arts tradition with robust opportunities to participate in independent research as well as civic and global engagement. The Dean, who reports to Provost Sally Kornbluth, plays a large role in Duke’s overall educational mission and will have the extraordinary opportunity to steer existing priorities and establish new programs and goals. The leadership at Duke is collaborative, interdisciplinary and mission-focused, and the Dean will work alongside executive leaders, Deans, faculty committees, and center and institute directors to foster improvements and innovations in teaching and research.
Candidates with diverse backgrounds will be considered, although ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience and success in many of the following areas:
- Track record of success as a decisive and energetic administrator or faculty leader, preferably with management and financial oversight experience in a large, complex academic organization.
- Ability to listen effectively and communicate transparently across a broad range of stakeholders and constituents.
- A deep and unwavering commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Experience as an effective fundraiser, securing resources from a variety of sources.
- A passion for undergraduate education, a deep commitment to student success, a broad understanding of student life and intercollegiate athletics, and an appreciation for how co-curricular activities enhance the University as a whole.
- An outstanding record of scholarly achievement and teaching excellence requisite for an appointment as a tenured full professor.
Duke University has retained Spencer Stuart to assist in this recruitment. To nominate an individual, express personal interest in the position, or communicate comments, questions, or suggestions to the search committee, please feel free to use the confidential search mailbox DukeDeanAS@SpencerStuart.com.
A complete position description will be sent on request or can be found at https://provost.duke.edu/about/executive-searches.
More search results
Director of The Duality Quantum Accelerator-Incub…
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Assistant Professor - Hinduism
Senior Executive Director, Executive Education & …
University of Michigan Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor; Nursi…
Wright State University
SCADpro Academic Coordinator
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design