Conductor of the St. Olaf Band
The Department of Music at St. Olaf College invites applications for a full-time, tenure track position as Conductor of the St. Olaf Band at the Assistant or Associate Professor level to begin August 2023. We seek a dynamic, accomplished conductor/teacher to lead our thriving ensemble. Additional duties include instruction in instrumental conducting and in an additional area of the successful candidate’s specialization. The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to supporting a diverse undergraduate music program.
The position’s primary responsibility involves leading the St. Olaf Band, teaching a course in instrumental conducting and teaching a course in an additional area of the candidate’s expertise. This course might include music composition, courses in the musicianship sequence or in music education. Opportunities to teach interdisciplinary courses outside of the music department may arise, and the successful candidate would welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with colleagues in other Fine Arts departments in developing innovative cross-disciplinary initiatives. Other duties involve ongoing professional activity and development, service on department and college committees, and active student recruitment.
- Doctorate in instrumental conducting or a closely-related field; ABDs or Masters with equivalent professional experience will be considered
- Record of excellence as a concert band/wind ensemble conductor and band leader, preferably at the collegiate level
- Proven experience in directing, or potential to successfully direct, an undergraduate band program
- Evidence of, or demonstrated potential to engage in, successful teaching, mentoring, and training of undergraduate music students in a liberal arts context
- Strong commitment to undergraduate teaching, and to the missions of the department and college
Review of applications will begin on September 15, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received by that date will receive fullest consideration. Finalist interviews are expected in November.