- Associate Director, Teaching & Learning Commons
- University of California, San Diego
- La Jolla, CA 92093
Associate Director, Teaching & Learning Commons
University of California, San Diego
Associate Director, Teaching & Learning Commons
The University of California San Diego (UC San Diego) seeks a proven, collaborative, and visionary leader for the Teaching + Learning Commons (commons.ucsd.edu). The Commons is part of the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor. The central mission of the Commons is to provide campus-wide leadership in matters relating to instruction as well as student learning and academic success. The Commons supports educational excellence and advances faculty and student success across the UC San Diego learning community by providing expertise and innovation in educator development, student academic success programs and services, and assessment.
To promote excellence in teaching, the Commons develops and improves teaching skills that can be observed and measured, and encourages teaching as a serious form of scholarship and important intellectual endeavor. The Commons supports student success through academic achievement programs (e.g., tutoring, study skills, motivation and goal setting, active learning strategies, writing support, writing as a tool for learning), and assessment that leads to evidence-based improvements in courses, curricula, and programs.
Reporting to the Faculty Director of the Commons, the Associate Director will co-direct the Commons' Senior Management Team and work closely with the team to ensure coordination and synergies within the Commons. The Associate Director will play a key role in efforts to assess the impact of the Commons' initiatives and programs.
The Associate Director will play an active role in reaching out to the campus community, effectively supporting the Faculty Director in promoting pedagogical innovations, student success support initiatives, and inclusive education principles and practices institution-wide.
The Associate Director is expected to promote teaching and learning as ongoing and collaborative processes of inquiry, experimentation, and reflection; contribute to the research on pedagogical issues that impact teachers and students in higher education; and promote a university culture that encourages the creation of learning environments in which diverse students can excel, thus advancing UC San Diego's mission as a student-centered public research university.
The Associate Director of the Teaching + Learning Commons is a full-time, 12-month academic administrative appointment.
- Contributing to the administration of the Commons by co-leading day-to-day operation
- Co-supervising and directing the work of the Commons' assessment director: producing internal reports and key documents on the Commons' work; tracking, assessing and reporting on Commons' activities
- Actively engaging in the strategic planning by working collaboratively with the Faculty Director and senior staff to propose and develop new initiatives, support existing programs, and support strategic educational initiatives campus-wide
- In partnership with the office of the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, propose, develop and implement professional development programs for creating and supporting inclusive learning environment for all educators at UC San Diego
- Utilizing assessment and evaluation data to provide regular evaluation of Commons services and programs to determine priorities for the Commons.
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to propose new initiatives and programs utilizing best practices in teaching and learning and support scholarship in dissemination of best practices in teaching and educational innovation to the academic community
- Co-designing and co-leading research projects investigating teaching and learning at UCSD
The ideal candidate is expected to have significant experience and success as an academic leader in the field of faculty development, student services (student academic success), and educational assessment practices. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively within the Commons, as well as with academic departments and other administrative units that collectively support the University's instruction, research and service missions.
- A Ph.D., Ed.D., or terminal degree in his/her area of expertise or related field
- A minimum of three (3) years teaching experience at the college level
- A scholarly record demonstrating understanding of cognitive theories of learning and research as it relates to teaching and learning
- A minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible administrative experience
- A record of distinguished teaching at the college level
- An understanding of sophisticated analytical methods and techniques to apply the data analysis strategically to drive change and implement new programs and services utilizing best practices in teaching and learning and assessment
- Demonstrated understanding with the ability to promote and integrate inclusive education principles and practices through training in advancing UC San Diego's commitment to achieving excellence and diversity
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and professional writing skills with demonstrated project management skills involving cross-functional collaborations
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with faculty, staff, and students
- Ability to work cooperatively and strategically within the Commons, and campus-wide with faculty, staff, administrators, and other stakeholders across functions, levels and disciplines
- A minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible administrative experience with direct responsibilities for managing personnel and budget
How to apply: Applications are submitted in the UC San Diego online application system AP On-Line Recruit at https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01555.
Applicants need to submit a current CV, cover letter, contact information for at least three references, and a separate statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions. For further information about contributions to diversity statements see http://diversity.ucsd.edu/faculty-excellence/index.html.
UC San Diego is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence and diversity.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States permanently without employment visa sponsorship
Job locationSan Diego, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research (Optional)
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
References3-6 references required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
To apply, please visit: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01555
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream Statistical …
University of Toronto
Student Support Services Program Specialist
Eastern Oregon University
Lecturer in Discipline or Senior Lecturer in Disc…
Columbia University School of Professional Studies
Vice Provost for Research and Creative Activity
Greenwood/Asher & Associates
Associate Provost for Student Success and Foundin…
West Chester University of Pennsylvania