Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) is seeking a visionary president who is committed to serving the university’s student-centered mission and will serve as a strong, entrepreneurial-minded leader, committed to capitalizing on the university’s strengths and bringing solutions to those areas needing improvement. The president reports to the Board of Trustees and is the Chief Executive Officer of the university. The president represents the campus community to the Board as well as to the larger community, accrediting and regulating bodies, the alumni, benefactors, and other major external constituent groups. The president must be attuned to the pressing issues of the day as they impact the university and community constituents. A fiscally-resourceful background with experience in the generation of new revenue streams will be required.
The president must hold a terminal degree from an accredited institution and demonstrate progressive administrative leadership experience. It is preferred that the president have credentials to be appointed as a professor with tenure. Preferably the president should be a visionary with both academic and senior administrative success and one that understands facility and strategic planning/budgeting and how to have a major impact on student progress. Additionally, the president will be committed to fundraising and strengthen external relations, promote and celebrate diversity and inclusion, and be able to empower others through transparent communication, collaborative management, and shared governance in a unionized environment. University leadership and the search committee welcome candidates who, while not possessing a traditional academic background, have demonstrated the successful ability to lead diverse groups and programs in a non-academic environment. For all candidates, an understanding of and commitment to traditional academic values, including especially the centrality of student success at both the graduate and undergraduate level, shared governance, and the inextricable link between teaching and scholarship is preferred.
It is highly desired that the incumbent has:
- High integrity; models civility and ethical leadership;
- Deep commitment to team building and serving as an enthusiast for shared governance and consensus building;
- Record of achievement as a visionary leader who exhibits passion and who possesses the ability to inspire the university community;
- Demonstrated experience restructuring/consolidating positions and services;
- Successful experience in developing and executing strategies in a complex institution, including the fiscal skills and acumen necessary to prioritize and facilitate the allocation of resources effectively and efficiently;
- Demonstrated success with new revenues, not dependent on annual habitual tuition increases, because of declining state funding;
- Decisive management skills exemplified by a record of courage in making difficult decisions in an environment with competing demands and limited resources;
- Demonstrated success in securing transformational gifts and leading comprehensive fundraising efforts;
- Proven record of innovative problem-solving, coupled with the ability to utilize a transparent, collaborative process in decision making that invites multiple perspectives;
- Demonstrated success of political acumen and negotiation of funding for university needs from legislators;
- Experience with implementing action plans with results to drastically increase student retention;
- An understanding and appreciation of the evolution of higher education locally and globally, and the ability to demonstrate agility in this dynamic environment;
- A bold leader with personal humility who is both visible and approachable;
- Knowledge of how technology can be used to enhance enrollment management practices.
Founded in 1867, NEIU has a rich tradition of educational innovation and prides itself on preparing teachers and administrators who make a difference in Chicago. That tradition continues to this day and has expanded to include an array of academic disciplines, allowing the university to embrace fully the community in which it resides. Academic programs are offered through the College of Arts and Sciences, Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, College of Business and Management and the Graduate College. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. Diversity is an important factor in the character of Northeastern and in the social fabric of its student body. The university has an enrollment of approximately 9,000 students; African American, Hispanic, Asian and Native American students represent roughly 60 percent of the student body.
Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the northwest side of Chicago, the university offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education, and business. The university has additional locations in the metropolitan area:
- Jacob Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies
- El Centro
- Center for College Access & Success
- University Center of Lake County
In U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges” publication NEIU is ranked the most ethnically diverse regional public university in the Midwest and its students graduate with the least debt among Midwest regional universities. NEIU has also been named the best university for adult learners and the safest campus. In addition, more than a hundred countries are represented in NEIU’s student body.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidate screening will begin immediately. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided no later than November 1, 2017. A complete application will include a letter describing relevant experiences and interest in the position, current curriculum vitae, and the names of five references with titles, mailing addresses, business/home telephone numbers, and email addresses. All documents should be submitted in pdf format. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination, including the name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee. Greenwood/Asher & Associates (GAA), an executive search firm, is assisting Northeastern Illinois University in the search.
Applications and letters of nominations should be submitted to:
Jan Greenwood, Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
For more information about Northeastern Illinois University, please visit:
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as other qualified individuals.
More search results
Vice President for Communications, Marketing and …
Assistant Professor - Integrative Biologist
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of t…
Washington & Jefferson College
DEAN OF THE KNIGHT SCHOOL OF COMMUNICATION
Queens University of Charlotte
University of Bridgeport