Art Center Museum Specialist
Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: Art Center-Museum Specialist - Wagner Archives
Job ID: 17460
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Under the direction of the LaGuardia and Wagner Archive's Director, the Museum Specialist will support educational program activities within the office. The Museum Specialist will become an integral part of the Archives’ educational outreach program and will assist with the following responsibilities:
- Advise faculty and students on research projects based primarily on collections at the Archives and help shepherd research projects to completion.
- Maintain a varied portfolio of program documents, including the Archive's educational materials, annual history calendar, and additional materials.
- Support the Archive’s educational and outreach programs,
- Assist in coordinating the use of the archives for teaching and learning for some 2000 LaGuardia students, faculty, and staff.
- Maintain relationships and partnerships critical to the ongoing development and delivery of programs.
- Copy edit, fact check, and proofread content for website, e-mail blasts, electronic signage messages and social media feeds.
- Help to Administer the LaGuardia and Wagner Archive’s expanding public programs, both on and off-campus
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Advanced Degree preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of New York City History including a strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals and a record of achievement in some aspect of public history.
- Experience in museums or archives highly desirable.
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers the operations of a museum, gallery, or art facility.
- Manages preservation, documentation, and management of a collection (e.g., acquisition, records management, cataloging, storage, security, maintenance and repair)
- Prepares in-house and/or traveling exhibits, including all necessary documentation, installation, and exhibition materials
- Responds to requests for information and/or loan, and all educational materials, researching the collection as needed
- Administers gallery activities, such as maintaining computerized records on equipment, materials, and other inventory; updating web pages, etc.
- Participates in organizing events, promotional efforts, and exhibition marketing
- Supervises daily gallery operations and maintenance of the collection
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
More search results
Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment (L…
University of California, San Diego
Assistant Professor in Latin American Music
University of California, San Diego
Dean of the College of Business Administration
University of Texas at El Paso
Supervisor, HVAC Controls & Automation
Kelly F Cronan
Supervisor, Electrical Trades
Kelly F Cronan