Director of Development, Farmer School of Business
The Director of Development, Farmer School of Business, will help advance the mission of Miami University by managing the efforts of the School in planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment of donors and prospects to Miami University. This position will also be involved in developing new partnerships and strengthen existing relationships with corporate and foundation partners.
Miami University is a public university founded in 1809 with over 200,000 alumni and 20,000 enrolled students. These students major in over 120 different fields of study. With its close proximity to the city of Cincinnati coupled with a nationally recognized excellence in undergraduate education there is a significant opportunity to increase all measures of support from alumni, friends, and corporate and foundation partners. As the university looks to embark upon its next comprehensive campaign, a robust and high functioning development team will play a critical role in the success of that effort.
The Farmer School of Business is a nationally ranked undergraduate business school with select regionally based graduate programs. Supporting over 43,000 alumni and 4,000 current undergraduate students the School provides eight majors and two co-majors ranging from Accountancy, Management and Finance to Marketing, Information Systems & Analytics and Entrepreneurship. The School launched a $250 million comprehensive capital campaign in 2016 and is seeking a talented development professional to help it achieve its goal.
Miami University recognizes that technology enables us to find new ways of providing first class service and workplace flexibility. This position is approved for remote work on a hybrid basis, following a successful period of six (6) months of employment. Remote work is a working arrangement that can be modified or revoked by Miami University at any time for any reason.
In alignment with Miami University’s statement on Diversity and Inclusion, University Advancement is committed to and fully embraces the philosophy and belief that a diverse community is among an institution's greatest strengths. The Division of University Advancement is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all people feel safe, valued, and respected. To view our full statement including our specific commitments, please visit our website: miamialum.org/DEI_statement.
- Work closely with the Dean, administrators, faculty and staff to develop a deep understanding of the strategic areas of importance and secure financial commitments from individual prospects in addition to corporate and foundation partners.
- Help to construct and execute specialized campaigns within the overall FSB Capital Campaign.
- Build and manage a portfolio of approximately 65 prospects for the School.
- Develop assessment, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for assigned prospects with the Office of Development staff, and university faculty and administrators.
- Prepare and present gift proposals to prospects with the input and assistance of faculty, administrators, and deans, as well as other constituent and central development officers. Proposals may involve establishing multi-year commitments, as well as helping to facilitate gifts of real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities and insurance.
- Coordinates with Corporate and Foundation Development team to ensure FSB is included in appropriate Miami University proposals from corporations and foundations.
- Encourage and coordinate involvement of alumni and friends through campus visits and regional events.
- Provides stewardship assistance for individual and corporate/foundation gifts to FSB.
- Perform other duties related to the mission of the Office of Development under the guidance of the Senior Associate Vice President for University Advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years of experience in fundraising, sales, business development, and/or comparable work experience
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Commitment to collaborative approach to fundraising
- Proven leadership techniques
- Willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level and the ability to attend as scheduled evening and weekend events.
- Fundraising experience
- Experience working in an educational setting
- Management experience
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.