Vice Chancellor for Research
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice Chancellor for Research. Reporting to the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor is the chief research officer of the university and also works to promote research and economic development activities, particularly in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory through UT‐Battelle, LLC and other research and development institutions in the region and the State of Tennessee. The relationship with ORNL is poised for even stronger and more strategic collaborations and deep familiarity with the U.S. DOE and the national lab complex is desirable.
Applicants should have an earned terminal degree and evidence of scholarly, professional, or creative achievement sufficient to qualify for tenure as a Full Professor.
In addition, the successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Visionary leadership and management skills necessary to drive growth of scholarship, research, and creative activity at a Research Extensive University;
- Creative and outside the box thinking;
- Ability to facilitate an increase in research funding for scholarly activity across all disciplines;
- Experience with innovative public private partnerships with strategic corporate and foundation partners; the background to advance faculty research development;
- Broad knowledge and experience of directing large‐scale federally sponsored programs, technology transfer and commercialization of research;
- Commitment to the role of research in undergraduate and graduate education and ability to promote interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary scholarship and research;
- Strong communication skills to represent the university to internal and external audiences; including federal, state, industrial and corporate entities for the purpose of enhancing the research enterprise;
- Demonstrated ability to ensure that the campus is fully compliant with all federal and state compliance guidelines in such areas as responsible conduct of research, animal care, human subjects, radiation safety, lab safety, export regulations and OMB A‐21;
- Capability to manage the award functions in the Office of Research, providing high‐quality service to researchers;
- Ability to work closely with the Chancellor and Provost to ensure that the research and academic missions of the institution support each other. In particular, coordinate the commitment of start‐up funds to new faculty;
- Ability to work closely with the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration in research space and facilities planning; ability to work collegially with a wide variety of constituencies and team members of the Chancellor’s Cabinet;
- Able to enhance relationships with the UT System research officers, ORNL Scientists and managers, the UT‐ Battelle core universities, and other strategic partners.
Review of candidate materials will begin on September 20, 2017. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
To make a referral, to express interest in the position or to obtain additional information, please contact:
Brooke M. Swart
Associate Executive Recruiter
The University of Tennessee
105 Student Services Building
1331 Circle Park Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-5942
Confidential inquiries and questions concerning this search may be directed to Brooke M. Swart Associate Executive Recruiter at (865) 974-5942. Please note that Tennessee prides itself on the transparency of its government, and all formal candidacies will be subject to public inquiry.
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
More search results
Dean, Albert Nerken School of Engineering
The Cooper Union
Vice Provost for Technology and Chief Information…
Texas Woman’s University
Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Southern Connecticut State University
Clinical Assistant/Associate Professor-Pharmacy P…
University of Texas at El Paso
Dean of the College of Business Administration
University of Texas at El Paso