Chief Business Officer
The University of Southern Maine is at a particularly auspicious time in our history. The President is entering his third year of leadership at our Metropolitan University with a steady and purposeful growth plan. Our USM community lives the service promise Student Focused Every Day and we are looking for a financial leader who understands that promise and supports our values: Respect & Care, Integrity, Equity and Responsiveness.
We are pleased to invite qualified applicants to forward their credentials for consideration as candidates for the position of Chief Business Officer (CBO). The CBO has a direct reporting relationship (solid line) to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration and a service reporting relationship (dotted line) to the USM President. The CBO office is located on the Portland campus and serves three unique and diverse campuses – Portland, Gorham and Lewiston/Auburn.
The CBO is a Senior Leader serving on President Glenn Cumming’s USM cabinet as the chief financial and business advisor to the president and the campus leadership team as well as the campus’ primary liaison to the functionally aligned services managed at the University of Maine System.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with a fiscally sound, innovative spirit who is a strategic thinker and leader. Starting in 2014, both the University of Southern Maine and the University of Maine System took dramatic steps to contain costs in anticipation of the state and region's decline in college-age students. Starting the fiscal year 2016, USM has balanced its budget and has begun rebuilding its reserves. Fundraising has rebounded, admissions is meeting ambitious enrollment targets, and the university is developing a master plan that has galvanized community support and will include innovative public-private partnerships that will draw upon the creativity and expertise of the CBO.
The CBO is a key partner in achieving the University’s ambitious strategic vision for growth, including the President’s goal that “USM will establish a sustainable financial model by attaining industry standards attributable to a financially healthy institution.” The CBO will focus on complex work related to revenue generation, budget management, and resource allocation. Success in the role will be evident as USM continues its promise to be Student Focused Every Day and to be an institution at the heart of its community and dedicated to transforming lives.
The University community is committed to building a culturally diverse team of leaders, faculty and staff. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
The University of Southern Maine
The University of Southern Maine (USM) is Maine’s Metropolitan University, dedicated to providing students with a high-quality, accessible, affordable education. USM’s strategic focus is in alignment with the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities and we are seeking to become a Carnegie Engaged University by the year 2020. USM offers Baccalaureate, Master's, and Doctoral programs, providing students with rich learning and community engagement opportunities in the arts, humanities, politics, health sciences, business, mass communications, science, engineering, and technology. Further information on USM can be found at www.usm.maine.edu. We are also the home to University of Maine School of Law www.mainelaw.maine.edu.
USM’s three environmentally friendly campuses are unique, yet all share the extensive resources of the university — and all are energized through strong community partnerships. Offering easy access to Boston, plus the ocean, mountains and forests of coastal, inland and northern Maine, USM is at the heart of Maine's most exciting metropolitan region.
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field such as finance, accounting, business management, or public administration or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in an appropriate field such as MBA, MPA, finance or accounting preferred
- At least five years of experience managing in a complex organization with direct experience in higher education or public sector organizations preferred
- Commitment to public higher education dedicated to teaching, research, public service and student development
Anticipated salary: $120,000 - $140,000 (annualized)
Benefits beyond Insurance
- Employees enjoy a comprehensive benefit package that features competitive coverages spanning health care, vision, and dental as well as group life, short-term and long-term disability. Defined and deferred pension and compensation plans are available through TIAA with the University of Maine System matching the former up to 10% of the employee’s annual salary.
- Generous 100% tuition waivers are available to our employees, and their dependents are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver.
Recognizing a Work/Life Balance
- The University of Maine System has recently reinvested in its Wellness Program to support our employees and their families. Attractive incentives are tied to completion of such activities as preventive care visits with physicians and both in-person and telephonic coaching programs resulting in reduced premiums and modest cash awards.
- In addition, through Cigna, the System’s health care partner, Employee Assistance Program options are available to each and every member of the USM community.
- Annual leave and sick time are accrued at a very reasonable rate resulting in opportunities to achieve a positive and healthy work/life balance.
Apply online at: https://usm.hiretouch.com/view-all-jobs. You will create an applicant profile and complete an application. You will need to upload a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae and a list of the names and contact information for three references. You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form.
Review of applications will begin October 6, 2017. Materials received after that date will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Appropriate background checks will be conducted on the successful candidate.
USM/UMS is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.