Assistant Professor or Adult and Higher Education
The School of Education and Human Development at the University of Southern Maine is seeking a tenure track Assistant Professor for the graduate program in Adult and Higher Education. The Adult and Higher Education Program offers a Master of Science degree and post-master’s certificate. Both credentials are designed to be earned online so, while there may be an occasional opportunity to teach in a blended format, this is essentially a distance education faculty position.
The University of Southern Maine (USM) is dedicated to providing students with a high-quality, accessible, affordable education. USM’s strategic focus is in alignment with the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities and we are seeking to become a Carnegie Engaged University by the year 2020. USM offers Baccalaureate, Master's, and Doctoral programs, providing students with rich learning and community engagement opportunities in the arts, humanities, politics, health sciences, business, mass communications, science, engineering, and technology. Further information on USM can be found at http://www.usm.maine.edu. Information about the Adult and Higher Education program can be accessed at
USM’s three environmentally friendly campuses are unique, yet all share the extensive resources of the university — and all are energized through strong community partnerships. Offering easy access to Boston, plus the ocean, mountains and forests of coastal, inland and northern Maine, USM is at the heart of Maine's most exciting metropolitan region:
- Our Portland campus is located in "one of America’s most livable cities," according to Forbes magazine, which also ranks Portland among the top 10 for job prospects. A creative and diverse community on Maine’s scenic coast, Portland is nationally known as a culinary hot spot!
- USM’s beautiful residential Gorham campus supports and celebrates excellence in academics, athletics, music and the arts and is home to ten Living Learning Communities and six Residential Communities.
- Our Lewiston campus is home to USM’s innovative and richly diverse Lewiston-Auburn College. This Central Maine campus integrates classroom, community and workplace, and provides a small college experience with the resources of a large university.
- Earned doctorate in adult education, higher education, or a closely related field prior to September 1, 2018
- Experience teaching online in a higher education context
- Ability to teach both theory and applied courses in adult and higher education
- Evidence of having begun a record of scholarship through peer reviewed publication, action research project reports, conference presentations, and/or grant writing
- Evidence of commitment to diversity, student success, encouraging active learning, and community engagement
- Experience teaching at the graduate level
- Experience advising college students (undergraduate or graduate)
- Ability to teach a range of courses including history and philosophy of adult education, facilitating adult learning, and other courses related to adult and higher education
Anticipated salary range – mid 50s to 60,000
The University community is committed to building a culturally diverse team of leaders, faculty and staff. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
Apply online at: https://usm.hiretouch.com/view-all-jobs. You will create an applicant profile and complete an application. You will need to upload a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and a list of names and contact information of three references. You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form.
Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2017. Materials received on or after that date will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.
USM is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More search results
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Portland State University
Washington University in St. Louis
Term Assistant Professor of Management
George Mason University
Dean of the School of Arts and Letters
College of St. Scholastica
Director of Institutional Compliance
University of North Texas