Senior Linux Systems Administrator
- Yale University
- New Haven
- Commensurate with experience
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Work as a Linux senior administrator in ITS Systems Administration. Provide leadership in Linux server administration, for mission-critical services in a dynamic, 24/7 production data center environment. Operate as a key contributor to departmental planning and long-range technical development. Ensure that Systems Design strategies meet current and future needs of the University. Work as part of a team of system administrators to ensure performance, reliability and security on Linux systems in a dynamic 24-7-365 production data center environment. Prepare documentation (procedural, planning, informational), to support Systems Administration. Work closely with technical owners of applications to plan, deploy, and troubleshoot new or upgraded functions. Provide performance tuning, capacity planning, disaster recovery planning, and automation guidance for systems and applications. Participate in cross-functional technical projects that require the Linux Server platform as a component of the solution. Perform off-shift work and participate in rotating on-call coverage.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a related field and six years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Deep knowledge and experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Experience with Chef for configuration management and automation technologies.
- Demonstrated skill at troubleshooting and resolving problems on complex Linux systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills. Excellent customer service skills.
- Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Experience with cloud hosted, IaaS environments (AWS/Azure); enterprise monitoring solutions; Experience working in a complex networking environment including firewalls. Experience with load balancing technologies (F5); VMWare virtualization platform; automating building & deploying of Linux servers using modern tools like Docker&Vagrant; exp. with OpenSource solutions as related to production data centers.
- Preferred Licenses or Certifications: RHCE or vendor certification in a product or technology in use by the group.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2vUxJTA. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.