Sous Chef/Assistant Manager
- Ohio University
Sous Chef/Assistant Manager
The Sous Chef is second in command to the General Manager with responsibilities for much of the kitchen, management responsibilities, inventory, menu planning and development. The Sous Chef coordinates food purchasing, preparation and production. This position assists the General Manager in supervising food production, personnel, production tasks as needed; and ensures that quality and cost standards are consistently attained.
- Assists the General Manager with the oversight of assigned venues including kitchen management, safety and sanitation, menu planning and development and food production.
- Attends to day-to-day issues and needs concerning equipment and food supplies, food quality, inventory and waste reduction.
- Consistently maintains standards of safety, quality, cost, presentation, and flavor of food.
- Hires, trains and evaluates personnel and ensures proper staffing/scheduling to ensure maximum productivity and high standards of quality.
- Prepares and directly supervises the preparation of a wide variety of entrees, soups, sauces, etc. according to prescribed recipes.
- Assists General Manager with pricing, cost controls, requisitions, and issuing supplies and equipment for food production to ensure maximum profitability.
- Assumes oversight of food production, kitchen personnel and assists with front of the house operations.
- Develops strong customer relations and ensures customer service excellence.
- Prepares reports pertaining to budget, payroll, customer counts, etc.
- Stays professionally active by attending food shows, reading trade magazines and actively participating in professional development and organizations.
- Supervises work of others, including planning, assigning, scheduling and reviewing work, ensuring quality standards.
- Responsible for hiring, terminating, training and developing, reviewing performance and administering corrective action for staff.
- Plans organizational structure and position content.
- Minimum of 1 year of related work experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of supervisory/managerial experience.
- ServSafe certification must be obtained within the first 6 months of employment
- This position requires standing in kitchens for long periods of time.
- Could be exposed to hot &/or cold temperatures.
Associate’s degree, or vocational or technical school degree in Culinary, Hospitality, Business or related field.
Current ACF and ServSafe certifications are a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- We seek candidates with a commitment to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
- This is a fast-paced, customer service focused environment. This position requires a dependable individual with great work ethic, personal integrity and a team mentality.
- Please complete the online application and be prepared to upload the following required documents: 1. Resume 2. Cover Letter 3. References
- This position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply online at https://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/23805 by 8/31/17.
Applicants may contact Cris Schmitt at firstname.lastname@example.org if they have questions about this position.
Ohio University is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive educational and workplace environment. Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity and affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Ohio University is a member of the OH/Western PA/WV Higher Education Recruitment Consortium. www.ohwpawvherc.org