POSITION: University Housing at Southern Illinois University Carbondale announces an opening for the position of Hall Director. It is a full-time, 12-month, live-in professional position. Southern Illinois University Carbondale houses roughly 4,400 residents in traditional residence halls, residential towers and apartment style communities. Starting date is August 28, 2017. The position requires the interest in and commitment to working with full-time Residence Life professionals, graduate, administrative, and paraprofessional staff and residential students in a collaborative effort to promote student growth, personal development and academic success.
The Hall Director is responsible for the quality of student life in residential facilities ranging from traditional residence halls to an apartment complex. The Hall Director hires, trains, supervises and evaluates a staff team ranging from 6 - 32 Resident Assistants and/or graduate Assistant Hall Director(s) and potential supervision of a Civil Service staff member. The Hall Director reports to an Assistant/Associate Director of Residence Life. The Hall Director is a member of a dynamic team for Residence Life comprised of Hall Directors, Assistant Hall Directors, Assistant/Associate Directors of Residence Life and a Senior Associate Director of Residence Life.
- Select, train, hire and evaluate graduate Assistant Hall Director(s) and Resident Assistants
- Serve in campus on-call rotation for up to 4,400 residents
- Provide crisis intervention and emergency response
- Serve as a Hearing Office in collaboration with the Student Rights and Responsibilities office to educate residents through judicial conferences on the Student Conduct Code and University Housing Guidebook, regulations, rights and responsibilities to promote student accountability
- Implement Community Development Model
- Track community events and programs and manage programming funds
- Recruit and interview candidates for Residence Life positions
- Potential to collaborate with and serve on departmental and university wide committees
- Assist and promote Living Learning Communities (LLCs) and Faculty University Associate (FUA) programs
- Supervise traditional residence hall front desk (dependent upon area assignment)
- Advise Area Council and manage programming funds
- Co-Supervise Academic Peer Advocates
- Assist in student success initiatives (i.e. Saluki Cares, Counselors in Residence, Counseling Liaisons)
- Manage all administrative functions associated with the position
- Complete duties as deemed important and necessary to the effective building of a residential community
UNIVERSITY HOUSING MISSION STATEMENT:
University Housing exists to provide a high-quality, affordable, living/learning environment that contributes to personal development and academic success.
REQUIREMENTS: Completion of a Master's degree by the time employment begins and minimum one year of pre-professional or professional experience within housing or residence life. Valid driver’s license is required.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check and proof of valid driver’s license.
COMPENSATION: $33,480 per year ($2,790 per month) for 12 months, furnished apartment, all utilities (including cable and internet), designated parking space and dining plan. Furnished housing is provided to spouses/domestic partners and children residing with the Hall Director. Hall Directors receive University benefits including vacation, sick leave, health insurance and waiver of tuition for up to six hours per semester.
APPLICATION: Apply by submitting a letter of interest, current resume and the contact information for three current references. Completed application materials can be sent by email, fax or mail to:
Brian Beccue – Assistant Director of Residence Life
Trueblood Hall, Room 105 - Mail Code 6726
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
1175 South Washington Street
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
Application review will begin August 11, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
SIU Carbondale is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.
More search results
Assistant Director of Academic and Learning Resou…
Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment (L…
University of California, San Diego
Assistant Professor in Latin American Music
University of California, San Diego
Dean of the College of Business Administration
University of Texas at El Paso
Supervisor, HVAC Controls & Automation
Kelly F Cronan