Assistant or Associate Professor in Forest Genetics, Genomics, and/or Metagenomics
A nine-month, tenure-track position at the assistant or associate professor level is available with the appointment starting August 2018. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Specific areas of expertise are flexible, but experience in one or more of the following fields is required:
- Association genetics, population genetics, and/or genomic selection of forest trees, particularly using whole-genome and targeted resequencing data.
- Application of genomics and functional genomics approaches to questions regarding regulation of gene activity including the roles of transcription factors, chromatin modifications, and small RNAs.
- Metagenomics of forest ecosystems and symbiotic interactions.
We are seeking an outstanding candidate who is excited about working in an interdisciplinary setting and will complement existing faculty research interests and strengths. The candidate is expected to develop a nationally and internationally recognized, externally funded research program involving master’s and doctoral students in one or more of the following areas as pertains to the above expertise:
- Forest productivity and health.
- Regulation of wood formation, including chemical and physical properties.
- Adaptation and response of forest trees and ecosystems to stress, such as regulation of winter bud dormancy, responses to biotic and abiotic stresses, and symbiotic interactions.
- Responses of forest ecosystems to climate change.
- Bioenergy and biofuels.
Responsibilities will include teaching forest genetics, genomics, and breeding courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. Graduate teaching may also include development of courses in the candidate’s area of expertise that will contribute to the School’s rapidly expanding graduate programs.
Michigan Tech’s School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science is one of the most productive forest research programs in the country. The School is particularly well-known for its excellence in the fields of geospatial analysis, forest science, applied ecology, forest molecular genetics, and wildlife management.
Established in 1885, Michigan Tech is a nationally recognized research University, enrolling over 7,000 students and is a leader in science and engineering education. Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE institution, one of a limited number of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM. Michigan Tech acknowledges the importance of supporting dual career partners in attracting and retaining a quality workforce and is committed to offering career exploration advice and assistance whenever feasible and appropriate at the University and in the local community. See www.dual.mtu.edu for additional information.
Located in Houghton, near the shores of Lake Superior, Michigan Tech offers a friendly, safe, and affordable living environment with abundant opportunities for exceptional year-round outdoor recreation.
- Ph.D. degree in genetics, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related fields at the time of application.
- Two years of post-doctoral experience is preferred.
- Proven track record of high-impact publications.
- Demonstrated experience or potential to obtain external competitive funding.
- Demonstrated potential for productive collaborations with other scientists to develop new, innovative, and interdisciplinary research.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Send curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts, names of three references (with telephone numbers, mail and email addresses), a one-page statement of research interests and experience in securing extramural support, a one-page statement of teaching philosophy, and three selected reprints to: https://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/5683. Questions may be directed to Dr. Victor Busov (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Review of applications will begin September 1, 2017 and will continue until an appropriate candidate is chosen.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
More search results
Faculty positions in Learning and Neuroplasticity
The University of Iowa / Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Golden West College President
Golden West College
Senior Linux Systems Administrator
Assistant Professor, Education
Assistant Professor of Geological Sciences
JobElephant.com - CSU Bakersfield