- Assistant Controller
- Humboldt State University
- Arcata, CA 95521
- Jul 14, 2017
Humboldt State University
(Job #17-56) Accountant III, Assistant Controller, $4,899 - $8,482. Appointments are typically made at the beginning of salary range. This is a full-time, benefitted, 12-month position in Financial Services.
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the Controller, the Assistant Controller will perform advanced professional accounting work involving the application of accounting principles and practices to the resolution of a wide variety of complex accounting problems; serve as a high level individual contributor, providing expertise and lead work direction to other Accountants and Accounting Technicians, ensuring that assigned accounting activities are carried out in accordance with established policies, procedures and generally accepted accounting standards; assist with the month-end and year-end close processes, year-end GAAP analyses and preparation of financial Statements, and general internal and external reporting for the University; work collaboratively with colleagues to provide innovative solutions to policies and processes; assist in system-wide implementations/modifications of the enterprise system and support software; Implementation and compliance of internal controls; and support the mission and values of the University.
Duties: The Assistant Controller performs a variety of duties, including by not limited to:
- Assure that assigned accounting reporting systems and procedures are in compliance with established administrative policies and procedures and acceptable accounting standards.
- Independently perform in-depth analysis and interpretation of complex data and information, interpret financial reports and statements and identify problem areas and present and/or communicate findings in a clear and effective manner.
- Prepare complex financial statements and reports.
- Analyze account balances and reconcile balances to external data.
- Analyze accounting control procedures and recommend changes or modifications; recommend and implement changes to the documentation and maintenance of business processes, standards and procedures.
- Provide technical advice and consultation to campus administrators.
- Represent the university to external organizations on specific issues.
- Lead projects and initiatives, often with high visibility and broad impacts, to advance the short and long-term financial goals of the Department and the University.
- Lead and work collaboratively with others to build alignment and successfully accomplish assigned projects and initiatives that lead to organizational improvement, greater efficiency, and improved customer service to the campus.
- Provide lead work direction to other professional and/or technical staff, and provide training, guidance and assistance to other staff.
- Research authoritative literature, formulate conclusions and recommend solutions to implement; interpret new and existing federal and state regulations.
Minimum Qualifications: Education & Experience: Education equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, or a closely related field and five years of professional level accounting experience. Governmental accounting and auditing experience is preferred. A licensed CPA or Enrolled Agent is also preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), governmental accounting and internal control methods and related laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn quickly the financial structure and financial procedures of the CSU.
- Statistical and mathematical analysis and presentation of data;
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- Working knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements, and quarterly grant reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated competence in understanding, interpreting, and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions.
- Ability to research authoritative literature, formulate conclusions and recommend implementations required.
- Extensive knowledge of general ledger responsibilities and financial statement preparation.
- Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community.
- Ability to work both independently and in a close knit team environment.
- Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures.
- Experience building and sustaining collaborative working relationships with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Preferred Qualifications: A licensed CPA or Enrolled Agent, institution/enterprise level financial experience at a university, or public agency; general understanding of State of California and California State University budgeting and financial practices; experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft administrative systems and enterprise reporting systems.
Application Procedure: Please note that Humboldt State University now requires application materials to be submitted electronically. If assistance is needed, the Human Resources & Academic Personnel Services office (located in Siemens Hall room 212) has a computer station available and our front office team would be happy to assist you. Qualified applicants should submit electronically the following materials:
- Letter of Interest;
- HSU Employment Application at https://csucareers.calstate.edu/Detail.aspx?pid=61879
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae;
- Contact information for at least three professional references
Submission of the application materials should be sent as email attachments to email@example.com.
Please include your last name and the job # (17-56) in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled. The first review of applications will be Thursday, July 6, 2017.
HSU is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
Siemens Hall - Room 211
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
Fax: (707) 826-3625
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide complete and accurate employment information. Incorrect or improperly completed applications will not be considered for vacancies. Any reference in this announcement to required periods of experience or education is full-time activity. Part-time experience or education - or activities only part of which are qualifying- -will receive proportionate credit. In accordance with applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements, preference may be given to the campus applicants covered by these agreements. However, positions are open to all interested applicants, both on and off campus.
Evidence of required degree(s), certification(s), or license(s) will be required prior to the appointment date. The successful candidate for a position at HSU is required to be fingerprinted through the Humboldt State University Police Department or their local law enforcement agency. The results of the fingerprint process must be received by the university prior to the candidate’s appointment. The cost of the fingerprinting is borne by the university.
Humboldt State University is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state. Additional information about Humboldt State University can be found at http://www.humboldt.edu.
Humboldt State University is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race,religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Executive Vice President for Inclusion & Human Re…
National Collegiate Athletic Association
Assistant Director for Tours and Training
Ohio University - ADMISSIONS
Vice President for Research
New Mexico State University HSS
Vice President for University Relations
University of North Dakota