- Associate Athletic Director
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Amherst, MA
Associate Athletic Director
Associate Athletic Director
University of Massachusetts Amherst
As the Commonwealth’s flagship campus, the University of Massachusetts Amherst is making a profound, transformative impact to the common good. We are the largest public research university in New England, distinguished by the excellence and breadth of our academic, research and community outreach programs. We have a comprehensive and nationally-recognized Division I athletics program and our campus culture typifies the ultimate public university experience with diverse students and deep community engagement.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst Foundation is seeking an Associate Athletic Director, Development to assist the Senior Associate Athletic Director / Executive Director of Development in all aspects of Minutemen Club fundraising for the University’s Division I FBS athletics department. The program incorporates major and annual giving programs, along with specific sports giving groups and engagement events/activities. This position requires a broad understanding of, and background in, fundraising principles and practices. The ideal candidate will be a motivated individual looking for an opportunity to excel in a fast-paced environment. Candidates should be extremely driven and have passion for raising funds while working with various constituents. This position carries administrative responsibilities, so the optimal candidate must be able to multi-task and be highly organized.
- Manage various components of a comprehensive annual giving program for the Athletics Department. This includes but is not limited to:
- Assist the Senior Associate Athletic Director / Executive Director of Development with development of all fundraising goals, program plans and relevant budgets.
- Create, direct and oversee the solicitation of former varsity athletes, alumni, friends and parents in concert with all 21 athletic programs and their head coaches.
- Develop strategies to increase donor retention, upgrades, and donor acquisition in all annual giving programs.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 90 to 110 major gift prospects. Develop, document and implement a specifically crafted engagement and solicitation strategy for each assigned prospect.
- Prepare written proposals, informational materials, endowment agreements, gift illustrations and other materials needed to secure major gifts.
- Actively collaborate with staff in the Regional Giving, Planned Giving and Corporate and Foundation Relations departments as well as staff in other development units, in preparing and communicating solicitation strategies for assigned prospects in portfolio.
- Coordinate and support the participation of the Director of Athletics and Coaching Staff with fundraising activities.
- Provide oversight and coordination of sport specific giving groups annual fundraising effort while serving as head liaison for 2-4 teams/head coaches as assigned.
- BA degree required.
- Three to five years of development experience, preferably in an educational institute. Equivalent experience in business will be considered.
- Proven ability to solicit and close major gifts ($50,000+).
- Experienced relationship builder with excellent communication skills–and the ability to be responsive, resourceful and relationship-oriented.
- Decisive and organized with the skills to navigate multiple projects with ease.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; energetic and enthusiastic self-starter is required.
- Ability and willingness to travel on a frequent basis.
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Individual direct gift solicitation experience preferred.
- Knowledge of prospect management systems preferred.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To be considered for this position, please submit an application here. Review of applications will begin immediately; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst Foundation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.