Adjunct Instructor / Assistant Professor Cybersecurity
SUBJECT: Adjunct Instructor / Assistant Professor Cybersecurity
Announcement is hereby made for a 10-month, part-time, tenure track appointment beginning the fall 2017 semester on the Ammerman Campus in Selden. Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Unit III position covered under the Faculty Association of Suffolk County Community College collective bargaining agreement with the College.
Suffolk County Community College is looking for a dynamic, creative and collaborative faculty member to teach in the newly created Cybersecurity program at one of NY States largest Community Colleges. Teach in the areas of Network design/ implementation, Systems Security, Network Security, Security Strategy / Analysis and Cyber Threat Intelligence. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparation, instruction and engagement of students in the Cybersecurity curriculum.
The College is seeking an experienced professional who is a team player, loves working in a collaborative environment, is passionate about the future of cybersecurity, and is hungry to grow a premier education experience at our Long Island-Selden Campus. This person will create, fine tune and execute Cybersecurity curriculum to build the next generation of entry level cyber security professionals.
The College seeks faculty who value the opportunity to form mentoring relationships with our students. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ongoing commitment to excellence in teaching and to professional development. The successful candidate will also demonstrate an openness to pedagogical innovation, including, but not limited to, the integration of technology and distance education into the curriculum. Duties will include:
Network Security Required Skills
• Extensive experience with TCP/IP networking and networking protocols such as DHCP, IP, IP6, EIGRP, NAT, ACL, VPN, IPSec, VoIP, OSPF, BGP, STP, VTP, IPS, and DNS.
• Extensive experience with networking technologies including Cisco router/switch configuration and administration, Ethernet wired- and wireless networking and related protocols, VPN endpoint remote access and configuration, firewall and intrusion protection system administration.
• Subject matter expertise in both physical and virtual networking.
• Subject matter expertise with common operating systems, network packet capture tools such as Wireshark, familiarity with penetration techniques and network discovery tools.
• Current Cisco CCNA certification required (CCNA Security and higher desirable). Additional industry certifications from Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, EC-Council, SANS etc. are preferred.
Systems Security Required Skills
• Extensive experience implementing /securing Linux, Windows, Cisco iOS and virtual machines hyper conversions.
• Subject matter expertise with Microsoft Windows operating systems including console/terminal usage and Active Directory.
• Advanced knowledge of operating system performance monitoring tools.
• Advanced knowledge of TTPs to avoid Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), Cross-Site Request Forgery, SQL injection, MITM and other current attack methodologies.
• Advanced knowledge of assessing system security requirements based on risks to confidentiality, integrity, and availability (CIA Triad) by selecting an appropriate security control baseline, applying and validating security control implementation, performing security assessments, and maintaining security posture by prioritizing vulnerabilities for remediation.
• Advanced knowledge of Defense-in-depth Mythologies.
- Teaches assigned courses in accordance with description published in the College catalog and the approved course outline.
- Engages in assessment of college-wide learning outcomes and demonstrates the use of the results of these assessments in courses.
- Active participation in departmental, campus and College committees/meetings.
- Academic advisement and curriculum development.
- Demonstration of scholarly work in the discipline.
Must meet one of the numbered pathways below, as well as any applicable clarifications stated, (including education, area of study and previous work experience, including minimum number of years and types of experience):
- Master's degree or higher in the discipline of Cybersecurity and all experience specified in the Required Experience section below and a minimum of 5 years professional verifiable current work experience in IT.
- Master's degree in related disciplines of Cybersecurity, Information Security, Information Assurance and/or Computer Forensics and all experience specified in the Required Experience section below and a minimum of 5 years professional verifiable current work experience in IT.
- Master's degree in any area and 5 years professional experience in Cybersecurity or directly related field with responsibility for cybersecurity, computer forensics, computer monitoring and/or cybersecurity related IT processes.
- Two years administering enterprise-level systems (i.e., ERP, EDI, Intranet/Extranet architectures).
- Two-years hands-on experience securing operating systems, networks, wireless technologies, and/or intrusion detection monitoring systems.
- Experience in IT security planning and employing intrusion prevention measures/implementing IT security processes.
- Experience in the general use of network communications, operating systems, including programing IDE and CLI’s.
- Evidence/experience in the development and execution of 'Risk Management' in an Information Technology organization or department, to include security, disaster recovery, and back-up systems.
Click on the following link:
Select position #17-58 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.