Dean of College of Arts and Sciences
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg, Florida
The University of South Florida St. Petersburg (USFSP) invites nominations of and applications from dynamic and visionary individuals interested in assuming an exciting leadership opportunity as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). Reporting directly to the Regional Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, the new dean will join an energetic and collegial university leadership team and oversee over 100 faculty and staff, an operating budget of $13 million, and an $8 million endowment. S/he will be the senior officer responsible for providing the leadership and vision necessary for setting academic, strategic, operational, and financial directions for the College and will play a pivotal role in fostering an innovative, supportive, and inclusive environment that embraces excellence in teaching, research, and service.
With a legacy of providing high-quality programs in a student-centered atmosphere, the College of Arts & Sciences is USF St. Petersburg’s largest college, offering a wide range of academic programs in six departments, including 14 undergraduate majors, 13 undergraduate minors, and eight graduate programs. The College is home to nationally and internationally acclaimed faculty members with high research and scholarly production expectations. The faculty council works with college administration and has a progressive outlook towards growth in new and existing academic programs, and the wise investment of resources to support that growth. The College is proud of its exceptionally talented and dedicated faculty, which includes five Fulbright faculty, three endowed chairs, two endowed professors, one American Academy of Arts and Sciences member, and one Rome Prize recipient. Sponsored project awards from private, local, state, and federal sources are expected to be approximately $3 million this year, which is the highest it has ever been for the college.
Situated on the waterfront adjacent to the vibrant and growing arts, entertainment, and innovation community of downtown St. Petersburg, USF St. Petersburg offers a unique opportunity for a new dean to lead CAS to a higher level of academic innovation and engagement with the local community. The new dean will be well-positioned to further enhance the College’s research profile and identity as a research-active institution and foster a high-quality student experience. The Dean will play a major role in continuing to build on the momentum of the University’s ten-year accreditation celebration and on its distinctive mission to serve the St. Petersburg community, Pinellas County, and beyond.
The next Dean of CAS must possess an earned doctorate and a distinguished record in teaching, scholarship, and service that will command the respect of the academic community and merit the rank of Full Professor in one of the disciplines of the College. In addition to possessing leadership and management skills consistent with the values and expectations of the University and of academic life, the Dean will have an understanding of the principles of philanthropy and the demonstrated ability to build relationships with community partners as well as a record of successfully working with diverse faculty to achieve expected outcomes in a performance-based environment. The ideal candidate will also bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal qualities:
- strong record of significant administrative experience in an academic environment;
- ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, staff, university administrators, alumni, and community leaders;
- creativity and capacity to lead the College in identifying and furthering its strengths and its competitive advantages;
- demonstrated record of developing and strengthening innovative undergraduate and graduate programs;
- demonstrated commitment to research and to supporting faculty in achieving their research goals;
- evidence of expertise in budget management and effective alignment of resource allocations with strategic planning;
- demonstrated commitment to thoughtful shared governance;
- strong communication skills and demonstrated success in building relationships with important internal and external stakeholders;
- ability to support a diversity of disciplines from the humanities to STEM related fields;
- evidence of successful recruitment, mentoring, and retention of a diverse faculty body;
- demonstrated commitment to student success and student-centered instruction;
- demonstrated successful fundraising;
- successful experience with regional and national accreditation processes;
- experience in traditional, hybrid/blended, and fully online methods of academic program delivery at various levels;
- evidence of meaningful engagement in global programs and activities;
- a personable, visible, energetic, and accessible presence; and
- the highest integrity and uncompromising standards of excellence.
Storbeck/Pimentel is assisting the University of South Florida St. Petersburg in the search. The search committee will accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Nominations should include the name, position, address, and telephone number. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae and contact information for at least five references. Submission of materials as Microsoft Word attachments is strongly encouraged. Applicants/Nominees should keep in mind that the search committee will begin to consider candidate materials in mid-July.
Requests for information and all written nominations and applications should be directed to:
Steve Leo, Vice President
Vicki Henderson, Senior Associate
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates, LP
USFSP is an EO/Equal Access Institution. Welcoming…Diverse…Inclusive
This search is conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.