- Registrar at NJIT
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
- Jun 7, 2017
Registrar at NJIT
Registrar at NJIT
The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) is currently seeking a new Registrar to join our team. Under the leadership of the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Academic Services, the Registrar directs the operations and management of the Office of the Registrar. Primary responsibilities include course and classroom scheduling, course registration, maintenance of student academic records, transfer credit course postings, our degree audit system, degree validation and graduation certification, enrollment reports, and compliance with academic policies and FERPA regulations. The Registrar is the officer responsible for oversight and administration of academic and student policies as they pertain to student records and maintenance of all academic information about NJIT’s students.
The Registrar oversees the compliance reporting of student enrollment and degrees awarded to the US Department of Education through reporting to the National Student Clearinghouse based on data standards and schedules from the DOE.
The Registrar interacts with and serves as an expert resource for academic affairs to provide advice and assistance for implementation and administration of academic policies based on best practice guidelines promulgated by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers (AACRAO) in conjunction with the needs of the University.
New Jersey Institute of Technology, founded in 1881, is a public research university located in Newark, New Jersey, USA. The university is organized into 16 academic departments within five academic colleges, The Newark College of Engineering, College of Science and Liberal Arts, College of Architecture and Design, the Ying Wu College of Computing, and the Martin Tuchman School of Management, in addition to the Albert Dorman Honors College.
Located in the heart of the New York City metropolitan area, NJIT offers 51 undergraduate (Bachelor of Science/Arts) majors and 79 graduate (Masters and PhD) programs. NJIT is an economic engine for New Jersey and the NYC metropolitan area, and offers outstanding return on investment for our graduates. The university is currently in the midst of a strategic hiring initiative, which aims to bring the best and brightest faculty and administrators into our diverse community. These investments will continue to propel NJIT towards tomorrow’s scientific and technological frontiers.
- Coordination/scheduling of the University's semester course offerings following accepted "best practices". The schedule must be organized in a coherent sequence addressing the curricular requirements of the university along with the patterns to optimize undergraduate and graduate enrollment. Works with Academic Affairs to ensure best "fit" distribution for student needs.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other administrators, departments, and faculty governing bodies and committees to educate on, provide advice and interpretations regarding compliance to existing NJIT registration policies and procedures.
- Interpret the University Catalog for all issues relative to credit and transfer policies and the acceptance of courses from other agencies as equivalents to NJIT courses by guidelines provided by the faculty governing bodies.
- Cultivate internal and external relationships to better understand, support, and inform academic initiatives for all constituents and to develop and adapt registration polices and processes that support and advance student academic experiences and learning outcomes. Provide leadership and advice on issues related to academic policy, curriculum, and compliance with Federal laws and regulations, including FERPA to the University community.
- Recruits, trains and supervises office personnel including work allocation, and problem resolution. Evaluates performance based on mutually established objectives. Offers recommendations for personnel actions both positive for productivity and negative for not meeting predetermined objectives that have been clearly communicated to the employee. Uses best practices to motivate employees to obtain goals based on each employee's unique situation. Understands and follows appropriate employee relations requirements based upon in place union contracts which may now and in the future apply to staff in the Office of the Registrar.
- Oversees all facets of the daily operations of the Office of the Registrar to ensure compliance with University, State, and federal laws, policies, and regulations. Confers with immediate supervisor if discrepancies are noted that would be in violation of laws, policies and regulations to obtain mutually developed solutions for remediation.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures and communicates these to all appropriate staff and immediate supervisor.
- Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the University to ensure efficient and safe operation conditions in the Office of the Registrar. Where discrepancies are noted, confers with immediate supervisor.
- Participates in the development and management of annual operating budgets for the Office of the Registrar.
- Oversees the University's Ellucian Banner (or any future student information system that the university may elect to use) registration modules and ensure that data systems support the needs of NJIT's academic mission. Evaluate existing registration technology and tools and make recommendations as appropriate. Lead the implementation of new applications and enhancements in order to support advanced services, special features and improve administrative processes.
- Must have knowledge of and stay informed of changes in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) applicable rules, bylaws, constitutions and related University rules as they pertain to student eligibility to participate in sanctioned NCAA events or to participate in varsity team sports.
- Assist students in understanding and meeting registration and graduation requirements, including addressing any challenges students may encounter.
- Collaborate with Rutgers University-Newark for joint NJIT/Rutgers programs and cross-registration in courses at both Universities.
- Oversee any current or future technology and related software as may be used now or in the future to serve the registration-related needs of the university and its students.
- Represents the University at various community and/or business meetings consistent with the practices and objectives for such participation as may be established by the University.
- Encourage and provide professional development for the staff in the Office of the Registrar's to ensure the office provides exceptional service to all constituents.
- Develop and analyze reports and interpret data to share with NJIT leaders to shape discussions and decisions involving course enrollment, institutional planning, academic programming, and curricular polices/procedures.
- Use of the student information system to ensure web portals for student access for their course schedules and any changes that take place.
- Preparation of semester final exam schedules based on policy development and advice provided by Academic Affairs.
- Administration and maintenance of the on-line Course Catalog in conjunction with information approved by authorized constituents for each element of the Catalog.
- Position responsibilities related to Registrar functions and assigned by the immediate supervisor after mutual discussions with the Registrar.
- Honesty and integrity and the ability to project these characteristics to others.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to interact and collaborate effectively with a diverse population of students, parents, faculty, and staff.
- Team-building skills through communication, training and personal development of staff is essential.
- Positive attitude and ability to plan and adapt to change.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to maintain productive constituent relationships
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated effective leadership and organizational skills with experience in organizational change management concepts and approaches.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and adhere to deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Knowledge of and compliance with relevant Federal, State and institutional policies, procedures and statutes.
- Demonstrated comfort in working in and contributing to leading edge technology to maximize the effective and efficient delivery of all services.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution required.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience in a Registrar's office at the Assistant Registrar level or above with a work background that demonstrates comprehensive understanding of all elements of a complex registrar operation.
- Experience at a functional and operational level for the use of student information system(s), , on-line catalog management systems, classroom scheduling and optimization systems, degree audit systems, NSC enrollment and degree compliance reporting to US Department of Education and use of query tools for extracting and reporting of student information to all constituents with a right-to-know.
- Understanding of FERPA and associated educational initiatives for a University community.
- Earned PhD/EdD degree from an accredited institution.
- Direct experience with Enterprise Resource Planning systems
To apply, please visit https://njit.jobs and search for posting 0603708.
To build a diverse workforce, NJIT encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women. EEO employer.
NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
University Heights, Newark, NJ 07102-1982
More search results
Assistant Professor and Curator, Breckenridge End…
University of Minnesota
Aviation Program, Tenure Track Open rank
Bowling Green Stat Univ.
TESOL Adjunct Faculty
George Mason University
Director, Center for Latino Studies - (FAC000209)
University of Houston - Downtown
Landscape Planning Associate
University of Oregon