Postdoctoral Associate American Civil War Era
The Virginia Center for Civil War Studies and the History Department of Virginia Tech invite applications for a two-year postdoctoral associate position in the history of the American Civil War era that will begin in August 2022. The successful applicant will benefit from professional mentoring, the opportunity to gain experience planning and participating in academic and public outreach activities, and access to the extensive Civil War era holdings of Virginia Tech’s Special Collections and University Archives (http://spec.lib.vt.edu/). We welcome applications from those pursuing tenure-track positions and/or alt-ac career paths. Members of groups historically underrepresented in the professoriate are especially encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- make significant progress on a scholarly project that fits their career goals (ex.: book or article manuscript, digital project, museum exhibit, etc.).
- Teach a total of three courses over two years in Virginia Tech’s History Department.
- Organize, in conjunction with the Center Director, either an outreach project or an academic conference.
- Contribute to the research activities and public outreach programs of the Virginia Center for Civil War Studies, participating in events such as the Civil War Weekend.
• Ph.D. in history or a related discipline with emphasis on any aspect of the Civil War era, broadly conceived. Ph.D. must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
• Record demonstrating potential for excellence in research and teaching.
• Ability and willingness to work collaboratively with faculty, students, and members of the public.
• Effective communication skills.
• Ability to contribute to the growth of an inclusive campus culture.
• Strong interest in, and commitment to, working with diverse populations.
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (Holly Caldwell) at (firstname.lastname@example.org) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event. You may direct other questions to Paul Quigley, Director of the Virginia Center for Civil War Studies, email@example.com.
Advertised: January 19, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled
More search results
Executive Director of Equity Assurance
University of Hawaii
Academic Radiologist – Health Sciences Clinical S…
University of California - Irvine
Dean, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Techn…
University of Hawaii at Manoa, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology
Honors Carolina Coach (Tech); Honors Carolina Coa…
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Southern Methodist University, Statistical Science Dept.