Assistant Professor in Social Studies Education, Tenure Track, School of Teaching and Learning
Teaching, research, and service in Inclusive PreK-5 and Middle Childhood Education courses at the undergraduate and the graduate levels, with emphasis on social studies and culturally responsive pedagogy.
Inclusive PreK-5 Education and Middle Childhood Education Programs at Bowling Green State University are housed within the College of Education and Human Development. Our faculty is committed to creating a community of inclusion, collaboration, and respect. This mission is operationalized though iterative practices of inquiry and innovation that enhance the professional preparation of our students, providing them opportunities to engage in leadership and service grounded in experiential learning. The undergraduate Inclusive PreK-5 Education Program leads to Ohio PK-5 dual licensure in special education and primary education or Ohio PK-5 single licensure in primary education for teaching young children in inclusive settings. The undergraduate Middle Childhood Education Program leads to Ohio 4-9 licensure with choice of two of four possible subject areas.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach Inclusive PreK-5 and Middle Childhood social studies education courses (face-to-face, blended, online) including field experiences in one or more of the following programs: a) Undergraduate Inclusive PreK-5 Education Program; b) Middle Childhood Education Program; and c) Graduate Curriculum & Teaching Program.
- Establish/maintain a productive research line leading to peer-reviewed publications/presentations and engage in grant writing activities as appropriate.
- Participate in student advising and in program development.
- Provide service to the university, community, and profession.
- Earned doctorate in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Curriculum and Instruction or closely related field with a focus on social studies and/or culturally responsive pedagogy. Candidates who are ABD at time of application may be considered. Degree must be conferred prior to appointment.
- A minimum of three years professional experience working with individuals with elementary and/or middle school students (e.g., classroom teacher, special education teacher, or other related service provider in educational settings).
- Demonstrated commitment to scholarly activities, including research investigations, publications, presentations at professional conferences, and/or grant writing.
- Demonstrated commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy (e.g., through curriculum development, research, service).
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice (e.g., through curriculum development, research, service).
- Experience in teaching at the college level is preferred.
Application deadline is February 18, 2022. Files must be submitted at: https://bgsu.hiretouch.com.
Only complete applications will be considered. Application materials include: 1) a letter of application (cover letter), 2) statements of both teaching and research interests that include experience to date and describe goals for the future, 3) current curriculum vitae, 4) a statement of commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education, 5) names and contact information of three individuals who will be asked to provide current (dated within the past year) letters of reference, and 6) transcripts indicating the highest degree earned or current program transcript if ABD.
Finalists will be required to submit official transcripts and to authorize and pass a background check prior to an offer of employment being made.
For the statement of commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (number 4 above) you will be required to upload a written response to the question listed below. Your statement should not exceed one double-spaced page with 1-inch margins and 12pt. font.
Prompt: How do you engage with equity, diversity, and/or inclusion in the work setting?
For instructions on how to apply for this position, visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com.
For additional information, contact Dr. Mark Seals, Director, School of Teaching and Learning, College of Education & Human Development, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403-0240. Phone: 419-372-7622; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete job description and instructions on how to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact
the Office of Human Resources, BGSU. Application deadline is February 18, 2022. Background check required for
employment. BGSU is an AA/EEO/Vet employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment and
strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities regardless of age, gender
identity, genetic information, religion, or sexual orientation.