Dean, School of Science and Engineering
- Merrimack College
- North Andover, MA
Dean, School of Science and Engineering
Merrimack College invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Science and Engineering (SSE). Merrimack College seeks a collegial and exceptional leader with an extensive record of academic and professional accomplishment to serve in this key leadership position. The new Dean will have the opportunity to develop and advance a vision of dynamic STEM education and research and provide support to a talented faculty and staff and a supportive administration. This position represents an opportunity to help define a new future for the SSE by supporting the College goals of growth, mission, and impact by creating a self-sustaining entrepreneurial academic enterprise while supporting continued excellence in teaching, the moral and ethical growth of students, resource creation, program development, and sponsored research.
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, and coeducational college nestled in the Boston suburbs of Andover and North Andover, Mass., is an institution with great upward momentum. In the 2022 U.S. News & World Report rankings, Merrimack ranked 3 for Most Innovative Schools making improvements in curriculum, faculty, students, campus life, technology or facilities. U.S. news also ranked the College at 34 in the Regional Universities North category and 41 for Best Value Schools.
Founded in 1947 by the Archbishop of Boston and the Order of St. Augustine, Merrimack strives to cultivate global citizens who are prepared to lead in today’s diverse and changing environment. Merrimack offers graduate programs and nearly 100 undergraduate programs in liberal arts, science and engineering, business, health sciences, and education and social policy. The College has over 4,000 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students from 40 states and 38 countries who form an engaged community of thinkers, learners and achievers integrated into an academic culture of excellence. Undergraduate enrollment has increased approximately 20% in the last five years and Merrimack has hired more than 80 new faculty in that same time.
The School of Science and Engineering enrolls 633 undergraduate and 92 graduate students with 56 full-time faculty, 26 part-time faculty, and 13 staff members. The SSE offers the Bachelor of Science degree through the departments of biology, chemistry, and biochemistry, civil engineering, computer science, data science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and physics; a Bachelor of Arts degree is offered through the departments of mathematics and biology. In addition, the school offers cross-disciplinary BS and BA degrees in environmental studies and sustainability. The Bachelor of Science degrees in civil engineering, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The department of chemistry and biochemistry offers degrees in chemistry and biochemistry certified by the American Chemical Society. The Chemistry and Biochemistry Department is also approved by the American Chemical Society. In addition, the school offers Master of Science degrees in biology, civil engineering, data science, engineering management, and mechanical engineering and two certificates in data science.
The Dean of the School of Science and Engineering will hold a terminal degree in the sciences, engineering, or a related field, and will have a record of teaching, scholarship, and service that merits appointment as (at the minimum) a tenured full/associate professor.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the School of Science and Engineering. Key dimensions of the Dean’s position include:
- Working collaboratively and inclusively with the SSE leadership, faculty, and staff to advance the School’s interests in alignment with Agenda for the Future.
- Lead the development of new programs and ideas that generate new financial resources;
- Working in partnership with the SSE faculty to explore and develop new and revised undergraduate and graduate degree programs, new online programs, and certificate programs.
- Establishing a shared vision for the SSE though a highly engaged, transparent, and inclusive process.
- Enhancing external revenues to support initiatives within SSE by acquiring external grants and developing corporate relationships;
- Cooperatively leading the effort to enhance and strengthen a positive, growth-oriented culture that rewards faculty for ideas and productivity;
- In cooperation with the chairs and faculty, guiding the hiring, evaluation, development, and retention of top-quality full- and part-time faculty members within the School;
- Recruit, hire, and support faculty from historically underrepresented groups in STEM fields;
- In cooperation with chairs and faculty developing programs to attract and support students from historically underrepresented groups;
- Establishing, supporting, and maintaining effective working relationships with industries, businesses, and corporations throughout the Northeast corridor;
- Serving as a member of a team of deans and other academic administrators who directly report to the Provost.
Additional information this opportunity and the search can be found at https://assets.storbecksearch.com/files/resources/merrimack-deansse-pd.pdf
The search committee will be reviewing materials immediately. Application materials shall include a CV and a cover letter outlining interest; administrative experience; academic experience; and experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution of higher learning. All applications and nominations will be treated confidentially. For best consideration, please send a cover letter and CV to:
Steve Leo, Managing Director
Brian Bustin, Senior Associate
For more information on Merrimack College and its programs, please consult its website: www.merrimack.edu
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work: Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
More search results
Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of t…
The Pennsylvania State University
Evaluation and Reporting Coordinator (B) - (Vice …
University of Pennsylvania
Dean, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Techn…
University of Hawaii at Manoa, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology
Dean of Arts and Sciences (39845)
University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis
Senior Director of EVP/Dean Communications (Dean'…
University of Pennsylvania