Vice President for Inclusive Excellence
- The Ohio State University
- Columbus, Ohio
Academic Affairs Administration | Office of the Provost
The Vice President for Inclusive Excellence (VPIE) will serve as the university’s executive-level strategist responsible for guiding practices and creating opportunities to define, assess, and promote inclusive excellence, access, and cultural proficiency for students, faculty, and staff. The VPIE will oversee, develop, and lead diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging strategy for the University. The university defines diversity broadly and values multiple dimensions of diversity including across demographic, religious, country of origin, perspective, backgrounds. We strive to create an institution where all individuals can fully participate and feel valued. The VPIE will provide executive leadership, oversight, and vision in the administration of a range of services, programs, policies, and procedures to advance the institution’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Reporting to Executive Vice President and Provost (Provost) Melissa Gilliam, the Vice President for Inclusive Excellence will be a member of the Provost’s senior leadership team, oversee the Office of Institutional Equity, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and the Kirwan Institute. As a core member of the Provost’s leadership team, the VPIE will regularly engage with university leadership on a wide range of issues. In addition, the VPIE will serve in several other highly visible, critical leadership roles across campus. They will be a key partner in stewarding the University’s Shared Ethos. They will be a partner and support to Colleges and administrative units across the University.
The Vice President for Inclusive Excellence will:
- Integrate strategy, advisory, programs, research, policies, training, and institutional equity to expand Ohio State’s impact and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Advise senior leadership about strategic diversity planning and implementation efforts that will advance Ohio State’s mission and vision
- Have the Offices of Institutional Equity and Diversity and Inclusion and the Kirwan Institute report to them
- Collaborate with key university stakeholders to enhance the coordination of current cultural and educational programs that increase awareness, appreciation, and engagement for equity, diversity, and inclusion for students, staff, and faculty.
- Collaboratively develop a strategy for diversity, inclusion, equity, and belongingness for faculty, staff, and students with institutional leaders from across the university
- Will serve as an insightful, diplomatic, and highly collaborative subject matter expert in a variety of informal ad-hoc interactions with faculty, students, staff, administrators, and the local community
- Work closely with other university leaders to evaluate and advance diverse and inclusive hiring and retention practices institution-wide, as well as undergraduate and graduate student recruitment
- Assesses the evidence to implement best-practice strategies to ensure continued and long-term institutional excellence developed through diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility
- Develop a faculty research strategy that expands Ohio States impact and outcomes related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belongingness.
- Collaborate with the Senior Vice Provost for Student Academic Excellence and the Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Eminence to create programs that will increase the safety and inclusive campus environment for faculty, staff, and students.
- They will work closely with our newly recruited faculty associated with the RAISE initiative.
Ph.D., J.D., or equivalent terminal degree, the candidate will have a deep understanding of higher education and an understanding of the faculty, staff, and student experience.
The successful candidate will bring many of the following complementary skills and experiences to their work:
- A demonstrated commitment to and sophisticated understanding of the national conversation around diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education and a keen sense of best practices and emerging issues;
- An understanding of issues related to institutional equity, title IX, compliance, affirmative action, Civil Rights investigation; Experience with data driven approaches and analyses
- Experience managing, leading, and overseeing organizational development
- Experience in collaboratively developing and implementing a shared strategic vision across a complex institution specifically focusing on DEI;
- A track record of creativity and innovation in approaching complex and/or difficult conversations;
- Demonstrated knowledge, and/or experience with the process of the recruitment, hiring, tenure/promotion, and retention of historically underrepresented faculty and staff;
- Demonstrated knowledge, and/or experience with the process of the recruitment and retention of historically underrepresented students;
- Experience setting and achieving long-term goals and objectives to respond effectively to pressing issues as they arise;
- Broad institutional perspective expected of a vice president, including a collaborative spirit and the ability to contribute to discussion on a wide range of university issues;
- The ability to quickly build relationships of trust and shared purpose with faculty, students, staff, and administrators on campus as well as key community partners in the surrounding area;
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to credibly present data both orally and in writing to a wide range of audiences, including administration, faculty, students, community, and media
Proposed salary range: $250,000-$300,000
Interested candidates can apply by visiting https://osujoblinks.com/dugw
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, protected veteran status, or any other basis under the law.
Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the Equal Employment Identification form.
More search results
Associate Vice President, Alumni Engagement and G…
New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Florida Atlantic University
Chancellor, University of Illinois Chicago and …
University of Illinois Chicago and University of Illinois System
NHTI - Concord's Community College
Assistant Vice President of Development, College …