Endowed Economics Department Chair
Endowed Economics Department Chair
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook University seeks nominations and confidential expressions of interest in the search for the inaugural Endowed Economics Chair. Reporting to the Dean of the College of Arts of Sciences, the Chair will have the opportunity to grow the Department of Economics, known nationally and internationally for its excellence in Game Theory and Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomics, and Applied Econometrics. A transformational gift of $25 million from one of the Department’s esteemed graduates will give the Chair the opportunity to strengthen the national and global relevance of the Department’s research mission, particularly in the areas of Applied Economics and Public Policy, to attract and diversify faculty researchers, to strengthen gender and ethnic diversity in the PhD program, and to build and encourage interdisciplinary research collaborations. Ultimately, the new Chair is expected to elevate the Department’s standing in national rankings.
Stony Brook University is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) and is formally designated as a flagship university within the State of New York (SUNY) system. The University enrolls nearly 27,000 students, employs more than 15,000 individuals, and has a $3.5 billion budget. The University is ranked among the top 25 public universities in the Forbes Top College rankings, 2021; is one of the “Top 100 National Universities” according to U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges, 2021; and is among the top 10 most diverse universities in the nation according to QS U.S. University Rankings, 2021. Stony Brook University is the number one U.S. university for reducing inequalities in higher education, according to Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings, 2020. With a strategic location on Long Island only 50 miles east of New York City and one hour away from JFK Airport, Stony Brook University is one of America’s most dynamic public universities, a center of academic excellence and an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.
Set within the College of Arts and Sciences, which is the intellectual heart of the University spanning the natural sciences, humanities, social sciences, and fine arts, the Department of Economics is a highly research-oriented department that emphasizes excellence in the core areas of economics: Game Theory and Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomics, and Applied Econometrics. The Department offers degree programs at the PhD, MA, and BA levels; the undergraduate program is one of the largest majors at the University.
The Department Chair is expected to be a role model and provide leadership in all matters of Department policy, structure, and function including strategic planning, appointments, promotions, instruction, mentorship, research, and administration and will conduct research, publish in peer-reviewed journals, teach relevant courses, advise students, and participate in University and national service. The Chair is expected to cultivate a supportive, collegial, and safe environment for faculty, staff, and students to achieve the highest possible level of excellence in research, teaching, and learning.
The Chair will work with and inspire the Economics faculty, staff, and students to fulfill the following opportunities:
- Provide leadership for decisions: The Chair will be asked to provide leadership for and build consensus around critical academic issues, including faculty hiring within the department, the nature and extent of interdisciplinary programs, the configuration of curricular offerings, and enrollment across academic areas.
- Foster diversity, equity, and inclusion: Diversity is key to academic innovation and institutional strength. The Chair will need to foster and sustain efforts to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion amongst faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide leadership for undergraduate education: Economics is one of the most heavily enrolled majors at Stony Brook University. The Chair needs to sustain and augment existing efforts to provide students with an academic experience of the highest caliber.
- Foster excellence in graduate education: The Chair must work with the faculty to support and nurture graduate and doctoral programs of the greatest national and international distinction with transformational research outcomes.
- Manage resources to ensure a strong financial future: The Chair must continue to manage resources wisely, maintaining sound budgetary controls and principled resource allocation.
- Increase resources through fundraising: The Chair must work with University Advancement in the ongoing efforts to cultivate philanthropic support of the Department’s enterprise.
- Build collaboration across units: There continue to be important opportunities for collaboration across the departments and across colleges. The Chair should foster curiosity and dialogue throughout the campus community, seek out new opportunities and facilitate their exploration and establishment, effectively leveraging the excellence in the University’s other academic units.
Candidates must have a record of distinguished academic accomplishment, commensurate with appointment at the rank of full professor in Economics at Stony Brook University, and appropriate to the leadership of a department with a tradition of excellence in research, teaching, and service. Ideal candidates will have proven ability in fostering world-class research and educational programs; demonstrated commitment to mentorship and collegiality; experience in catalyzing collaborations, bringing people and entities together, creating synergies within and across collaborations; experience in financial management of budgets involving personnel, facilities, and programmatic resources; and be accessible with the ability to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
Stony Brook University has retained Park Square Executive Search to assist in this recruitment. Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. Although the search will remain open until the position is filled, review of candidate materials will begin immediately. Candidates should provide, in confidence, a curriculum vitae, and a letter of application that highlights administrative acumen and leadership experience, and the names and contact information of five references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of the candidates.
Materials should be sent electronically via e-mail to the university’s consultant, Dr. Jonathan Fortescue of Park Square Executive Search at firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents that must be mailed may be sent to Jonathan Fortescue, Ph.D., Managing Partner, or Zach Barker, Associate, Park Square Executive Search, LLC, 225 Franklin Street, 17th Floor, Boston, MA 02110.
Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer. The University is committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. Stony Brook University encourages protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and minorities to apply.
More search results
Deep-Sea Oceanographer: Tenure-Track Faculty Posi…
University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Oceanography
Lecturer or Professor of the Practice, Computing
University of Maryland Baltimore County
Assistant/Associate Professor - Educational Admin…
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Assistant Professor -Sculpture and Extended Media
Virginia Commonwealth University
Assistant College Lecturers (UPDATED - 4 position…
Cleveland State University