Dean of the Honors College
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick
- New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers University-New Brunswick invites applications and nominations for the dean of the Honors College. The successful candidate will report directly to the Office of the Chancellor-Provost, serving as the public ambassador and the public representative in all College business, overseeing the academic programs and curriculum. Duties include overseeing staff, program implementation, budget preparation, and strategic planning efforts.
The Honors College community includes students from the following liberal arts and professional schools at Rutgers–New Brunswick: the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, School of Engineering, Rutgers Business School, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, and Mason Gross School of the Arts. At the center of the Honors College experience is the mission course, the Forum, where social innovation and collaboration are the focus, and where many ideas are initiated and later developed. In addition, students pursue travel abroad and service projects, and work with internationally acclaimed faculty in labs, in the archives, and in the field, where knowledge is developed firsthand. Being part of one of the most diverse research universities in the world, the Honors College embraces racial, gender, socioeconomic, religious, and other forms of diversity as central to its mission.
The Honors College dean will work closely with the Honors College Faculty Board, the school deans, and faculty living in-residence in creating a dynamic interdisciplinary curriculum that will help bridge the divide between traditional classroom study and practical, experiential learning from the beginning of the students’ academic careers. This function will require a thorough knowledge of the various academic requirements of each of the participating Schools. The Dean will work closely with the directors of the Byrne First-Year Seminars and the Aresty Undergraduate Research Center to implement coursework and experiential and research programs supported by these institutes into the College's curriculum.
Specific responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Engaging the College’s high-achieving students with opportunities to explore emergent fields and specialties while developing the broad base of knowledge necessary for future success
- Providing oversight and direction for high-level academic programming and leading and supporting the College’s advising staff
- Developing innovative teaching models that introduce students to social entrepreneurship and global issues and assist students in developing social action plans
- Assisting in recruiting faculty to teach honors courses, serve as mentors for research projects, and advisors for senior capstone projects
- Participating in evening and weekend events to build community and contribute to the success of co-curricular programming
For a full description of the position, click here.
The successful candidate must hold a PhD (required) with 10+years of experience working with faculty and administrators on curriculum development and mentoring students at high academic levels. Exceptional writing and exceptional speaking skills, a dynamic leadership style and evidence of collaborative and transparent faculty partnerships are required.
Additional required qualifications include:
- Knowledge of curriculum development
- Understanding the pedagogical challenges of the modern research university, including in-class instruction and the experiential components of lab, field, and archival research
- Experience implementing student-centered programs that emphasize research and experiential learning
- A track record of securing grants to underwrite initiatives in curriculum development and/or grants or gifts to support financial aid
- Understanding of educational and classroom technologies and the ability to provide training programs for faculty to help implement new learning technologies into the Honors College curriculum
- A track record of successful initiatives around diversity, equity, and inclusion that have produced measurable results
Chancellor-Provost Conway has charged a committee led by Chair Thomas Farris to support the search for the new dean of the Honors College. Review of applications will begin in January 2022. The desired appointment start date is July 1, 2022.
The search committee welcomes applications, nominations, and inquiries. An application should include a current CV and a cover letter. Letters should highlight relevant experience, explain interest and motivation, and describe an initial vision for leading the Honors College. Rutgers University values diversity, equity, and inclusion and will seek a leader who is committed to promoting these values in leading the Honors College. The search committee encourages candidates to describe initiatives and accomplishments they have led or participated in that have lowered barriers and increased participation by historically under-represented groups and to address how they might advance diversity, equity, and inclusion as dean.
Rutgers University-New Brunswick has engaged Opus Partners to assist this search. Craig Smith, Partner, and Sudeshna Chatterjee, Associate, are leading the search. To apply, request additional information, or nominate qualified candidates, please contact Opus Partners via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rutgers University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Rutgers values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
More search results
Academic Assessment Manager
CUNY School of Professional Studies
Assistant Professor of Finance
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Director for Access and Diversity
Ohio University - ADMISSIONS
Director of Outreach and Recruitment
Ohio University - ADMISSIONS
Assistant Professor - Chemical & Materials Engine…
San Jose State University