Assistant Vice President of Communications & Marketing
- Hunter College
- New york, NY
Assistant Vice President of Communications & Marketing
The Assistant Vice President of Communications and Marketing is responsible for presenting the College's accomplishments, activities, and priorities to a wide variety of external and internal audiences through vehicles that include the media, marketing collateral, advertising, e-mail, social media, the Web, and internal publications. The Assistant Vice President oversees media coverage about the college, developing marketing efforts and materials to recruit higher quality graduate and undergraduate students, and raising money from alumni and foundations, as well as with improving internal communications among Hunter College faculty, staff, and students. The Assistant Vice President reports to the President and serves as a communications and marketing liaison with all other senior staff. In conjunction with senior staff, s/he will develop the core marketing messages for the College and ensure they are presented clearly and consistently through all external and internal communications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Direct all aspects of media relations to further the goals of the President and the college.
- Develop and implement media relations strategies that promote a consistency of communication and branding in all campus materials and communications.
- Improve the public image of Hunter College to support the President and help meet the college's public relations, marketing, and fundraising goals.
- Serve as chief spokesperson for the college. Serve as liaison with public relations agencies.
- Media train key faculty and staff.
- Manage crisis communications.
- Review campus-wide and external communications, marketing materials, and Web sites to ensure they fit with the overall Hunter marketing plan.
- Oversee preparation and content of the President's major campus-wide internal and external communications, such as the Open Line and the President's speeches.
- Recruit and supervise a group of full- and part-time writers, graphic designers, and student interns.
- Evaluate advertising opportunities and work with other departments to determine the best advertising strategies for the college.
- Serve as the point person for the Princeton Review Best Colleges Guide. Ensure they receive the most up-to-date descriptions about the college.
- Develop and oversee production of brochures and other marketing materials to support Hunter's advancement and mission.
- Manage social media and email blasts to disseminate Hunter news and information college-wide, enhance the "brand" for marketing and recruiting purposes, and drive awareness of and attention to events, speeches, and other College activities.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Hunter College News Web site, including the faculty database.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
Bachelor's degree and at least ten years of demonstrated success within marketing and/or communications are required. The successful candidate must have proven organizational and communication skills (oral and written); ability to motivate, manage multiple projects, and partner with key personnel throughout the College. The candidate must be an intelligent, articulate individual. Candidate must have supervised a professional communications staff and have a strong record of accomplishment planning and directing an integrated media relations and communications program (print and electronic) that includes editorial, design, advertising, and photography. Experience with marketing, print production, and video production functions highly desirable.
- Candidate must be a creative, strategic thinker with excellent planning and analytical abilities and demonstrated administrative, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Experience with crisis communications and serving as institutional spokesperson in a wide variety of situations required
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to many kinds of audiences, including the media
- Experience writing speeches and/or supervising this function
- Candidate will have worked closely with an organization's top executives and have successfully managed freelancers and consultants
- Experience with fund raising and alumni communications a plus.
Assistant Vice President
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New York job website www.cuny.edu/employment or https://cuny.jobs/ and following the CUNYfirst Job System Instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account. To search for this vacancy, click on Search Job Listings, select More Options To Search For CUNY Jobs and enter the Job Opening ID number 22679.
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your documents available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document under CV/ Resume (do not upload individual files for a cover letter, references, etc.). The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The committee will review complete applications on September 13, 2021. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the position remains open after initial round. The search will continue until an appropriate candidate is found.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.