Associate Vice President for Facilities Planning and Management
- University of Southern Mississippi
- Hattiesburg, MS
Associate Vice President for Facilities Planning and Management
Department: Physical Plant
Reports To: Vice President for Finance & Administration
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance & Administration, the Associate Vice President for Facilities Planning and Management is an integral member of the Finance & Administration leadership team and is responsible for the planning, design, construction, engineering, maintenance and operation of campus buildings, grounds, utility systems and supporting infrastructure. This position is instrumental in leading the planning and development of new facilities and future development of campus environments.
- Provides comprehensive leadership, strategic vision, and general oversight for facilities operations, utilities operations, facilities management and custodial services, grounds operations and facilities planning, design and construction, including facilities, grounds, and maintenance for Athletics.
- Develops and implements operational policies and procedures that are based on facilities best practices.
- Prepares and manages a multi-million-dollar budget for facilities. Monitors and controls expenditures within approved limits.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with members of the University community, including the President, the Provost, Department Heads, Vice Presidents, Deans and Directors.Works effectively with senior leaders, faculty, and staff to ensure proper communication of strategic goals and operational activities.
- Acts as liaison with federal, state, and local agencies, companies, contractors, and members of the University community on all matters affecting facilities.Serves as the principal point of contact to ensure the interests of the University are protected.
- Utilizes staff to develop and maintain project planning in conjunction with the Campus Master Plan, including new construction, renovations, grounds and building maintenance.
- Manages real estate transactions for the University. Develops strategic plans for the acquisition of additional properties.Develops a plan for the full utilization of existing property.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution in a related field of study, such as engineering, architecture, construction management, or business. Ten or more years of progressively responsible professional and administrative experience involving facilities development, planning, construction, space management, physical operations and maintenance programs on a college campus or similar facility-based work environment.
Master’s degree and/or professional certification such as Professional Engineer, Licensed Architect, Certified Educational Facilities Professional (CEFP), or LEED certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA):
- Business Strategy & Acumen:Understands higher education and can use industry/professional terminology fluently.Thinks strategically and seeks to align department services and goals with institutional strategic goals.Asks critical questions to identify solutions to problems. Understands the interconnection of decisions, actions, outcomes and measures.
- Professional Knowledge and Application:Takes initiative to develop and apply professional knowledge and skills in order to enhance individual effectiveness and improve organizational performance. Creates opportunities to apply new learnings and best practices into innovative solutions that positively impact results.Seeks opportunities for development for both self and the team.
- Business Execution: Leverages professional expertise and University knowledge to assess areas of opportunity, identify solutions and effectively execute the plan.Demonstrates a high level of planning and organizational skills and the ability to move projects forward to completion. Self-motivated and accountable for results.Seeks advice and input from others and recognizes when to escalate issues or seek help.
- Communication: Demonstrates the ability to deliver accurate, concise and quality communication (verbal and written) in a timely manner.Encourages an open exchange of ideas and differing perspectives. Adapts communication style to meet the needs of diverse audiences and situations. Listens to understand others.Provides quality feedback.
- Relationship Management: Works to build and manage productive relationships with peers, leaders and customer groups.Effectively engages and interacts with others to collaborate and provide value-added support that enhances department results and team effectiveness.Affects outcomes and direction of customer’s decisions through effective relationships, trust and credibility.
- Physical Plant Director - 1
- Associate Director for Projects, Operations, & Campus Landscape - 1
- Associate Director for Business Operations - 1
- Assistant Director for Marketing and Campus Relations - 1
- Assistant Director for Campus Safety and Custodial Operations - 1
- Manager of Sustainable Operations - 1
- Architect and Manager of Space Utilization - 1
- Engineers - 2
- Project Managers - 3
- Dotted line reporting relationship with the Director of Facilities Planning and Management, Coastal Operations
The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education’s "R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity” designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 39 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $663 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit usm.edu.
Points of Pride
- The University of Southern Mississippi is a Carnegie R1, public higher education institution with a robust research enterprise, vibrant arts community, and diverse student body.
- Commonly known as Southern Miss, the University offers a wide range of academic programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, and at additional sites along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The University offers a variety of online degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate level through Online at Southern Miss.
- USM is rated No. 3 in the nation and No. 1 in the Southeast by Military Times in its “Best for Vets: Colleges 2021 Rankings.”
- USM is Mississippi's only dual-campus university with campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach.
- USM has more than 200 student organizations.
- Golden Eagle athletics teams compete in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
- USM has a student-to-faculty ratio of 17:1 and an average class size of 22 students.
- As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $663 million across the state.
- USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi.
- USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists.
- Named by Forbes as a Best Employer 2021, #6 in Mississippi, and #1 in Education.
- USM Coastal Operations extend across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, including our Gulf Park campus in Long Beach, which serves as a hub for academic instruction in key fields. As the leading research university on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, USM provides students with pathways to careers in uncrewed systems, maritime industry, offshore exploration, environmental monitoring, port operations, and with federal and state agencies.
- Undergraduate and graduate students from all over the country take summer courses at the USM Gulf Coast Research Laboratory. These students are provided with an unrivaled academic experience in a marine lab setting and the opportunity to work side-by-side with experts in the marine field.
- The USM Marine Education Center is located in Ocean Springs and serves as the outreach arm of the University’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory.
The center connects the public with coastal and marine science through several programs, including those that allow school and community groups to tour coastal habitats and gain a deeper understanding of marine plants and animals. The center also provides undergraduate and graduate students an opportunity to learn about coastal environments in an intensive field and lab-based setting.
- The University of Southern Mississippi’s Marine Research Center is located at the Port of Gulfport, situated along Highway 90. The center provides shoreside support to USM’s 135-foot oceanographic research vessel, the R/V Point Sur, and to a number of academic programs. The facility includes classrooms, laboratories, an 8-foot-deep in-ground testing tank, administrative offices and storage areas.
- The University of Southern Mississippi’s Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center conducts research to support locally grown seafood and overcome obstacles that constrain the production of marine species. Research at the center includes studies of aquatic disease and genetics as well as offshore design.
- USM is home to the only blue crab hatchery in production in the United States. The hatchery is part of the USM Gulf Coast Research Laboratory's Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center in Ocean Springs.
- The University of Southern Mississippi, in conjunction with partner organizations across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, announced the Gulf Blue innovation initiative to position Mississippi on the global stage for blue economy-related work.
This initiative is poised to bring “Big Ideas Out of the Blue” and pools the knowledge of research scientists, federal agencies, industry partners and entrepreneurs to further develop the Gulf Coast region into a global leader in ocean- and maritime-related technologies.
Academic and Research Excellence
- USM students have earned 27 Goldwater Scholarships, the most of any Mississippi institution. Scholarships are awarded to college sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue research careers in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering.
- Our College of Business and Economic Development is empowering entrepreneurs and developing the next generation of business leaders. USM is among only 1% of institutions in the world to earn dual accreditation in both business and accounting by AACSB.
- USM business and accounting programs are AACSB-accredited, representing the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide.
- Two USM nursing programs are ranked as the best in Mississippi by U.S. News & World Report. The Master of Science in Nursing and the Doctor of Nursing Practice were the top programs in the state based on factors such as research activity, student-faculty ratio, faculty credentials and number of faculty active in nursing practice.
- USM has been recognized as home to one of the nations’ best online graduate nursing programs. U.S. News & World Report places USM at No. 66 nationally.
- The USM nursing program produces more than 175 graduates per year, a 95% NCLEX pass rate, and a nearly 100% graduate employment rate.
- USM has earned a No. 50 ranking by U.S. News & World Report in its 2020-21 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs list for veterans.
- USM offers the only bachelor’s degree in marine science in Mississippi. This program provides students with a multidisciplinary education that integrates natural and computational sciences in the study of ocean dynamics.
As part of the Gulf Park campus based program, students have the opportunity to perform applied research across all marine science disciplines, apply cutting-edge technologies to ocean observing efforts, and conduct research aboard USM’s research vessels in the Gulf of Mexico.
- USM offers the only bachelor’s degree in ocean engineering in Mississippi and one of only 10 programs in the nation.
- USM is home to the only marine science program in Mississippi and one of only 16 undergraduate programs in the nation.
- The USM Honors College is one of the oldest public honors colleges in the nation. Today, the Honors College is composed of hundreds of curious, imaginative, and aspiring scholars who strive for excellence, thrive on academic challenge, and serve and lead both on our campuses and in the community.
- USM is one of only 39 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance, and music.
- The Pride of Mississippi marching band is highly respected and has performed around the world, including at prestigious events like the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- USM ranked as the nation’s top PhD program in counseling psychology according to CounselingPsychology.org.
- Our School of Polymer Science and Engineering has a 95 percent job placement rate upon graduation. Graduates work with companies such as Chevron, GE Aviation, Hexion, Boeing and more.
- The University’s online bachelor’s degree programs earned a No. 75 national U.S. News and World Report ranking, the best among Mississippi institutions, and a leap from No. 93 in 2020.
- The Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research provides USM students opportunities to get involved in research, creative or other scholarly activities, find funding for these activities, or share their work on campus and beyond.
- USM’s School of Polymer Science and Engineering is nationally and internationally recognized for the achievements of faculty, its level of research excellence, and the quality of students in the program. Faculty members have earned more than 60 patents in polymer-related areas.
- The National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security (NCS4) at The University of Southern Mississippi is the nation’s only academic center devoted to the study and practice of spectator sports safety and security.
- The de Grummond Children's Literature Collection at USM is one of the largest and most well-known collections of children’s literature in the world.
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (a letter of interest, resume/CV, and the names and contact information of five or more references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm by March 1, 2022.
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Allison DeLucia, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Brett Sauls, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: 770-804-1996 x109 or x123
email@example.com || firstname.lastname@example.org
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
More search results
Assistant Vice President for Human Resources, Sup…
Vice President of Mission and Ministry
PROVOST AND VICE PRESIDENT OF ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
Lawrence Technological University
Vice President for Finance and Business
Vice President of Human Resources