Research Lab and Equipment Manager (TCSL/CVPF)
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Research Lab and Equipment Manager (TCSL/CVPF)
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Director of Facility Operations, this position focuses on multiple responsibilities relating to the Facilities group support of CVPF (Clinical Cell and Vaccine Production Facility) and CCI (Center for Cellular Immunotherapies) Research Laboratories activities.
The CVPF is composed of two GMP suites totaling 1510 Process Rooms and a separate Quality Control laboratory. The Facilities are a critical resource in supporting leading-edge translational research by developing, manufacturing, and testing cell and gene therapy products in clinical trials. This position performs and documents tasks following CVPF SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) to ensure compliance with FDA guidance and FACT standards. This includes qualification of equipment, preventative maintenance, cleaning and decontamination of laboratory rooms in order to maintain aseptic conditions, biohazard waste collection and disposal, managing after-hours alarms from critical equipment, CO2 and liquid nitrogen tank changing.
CCI Research Laboratories consist of over 20 independent research groups occupying 3 floors in SPE (South Pavilion Expansion) and Smilow. The responsibilities of this position primarily focus on the ninth floor of South Pavilion Expansion SPE but also support activities on SPE 8 and Smilow 8. Responsibilities include managing and processing of work tickets to address maintenance and repair issues for both common research equipment and general lab equipment. Examples of such equipment include ultralow temperature freezer systems and Liquid Nitrogen cryogenic storages systems, centrifuges, shaker incubators, cell counters, etc. For all of CCI, this position is the Subject Matter Expert for the Aegis remote monitoring system and is responsible for training, setup and troubleshooting of Aegis devices. The position works with external vendors to address high-tech equipment needs and repairs, preventive maintenance of equipment, annual calibrations of research and manufacturing equipment. The position also orders and changes liquid Nitrogen tanks and Carbon Dioxide tanks used to supply critical research systems. Responsibilities also include tagging and tracking all capital equipment that supports both research and manufacturing as well as updating space occupancy for each PI on SPE 9.
For both CCI and CVPF, the position coordinates efforts with EHRS to address issues relating to safety regulations in compliance with Federal, State and University policies. This position is heavily involved in Lab Safety by maintaining and presenting the new employee in-person training program in collaboration with EHRS. This position oversees the maintenance and upkeep of laboratory space and works with the School of Medicine's Building Administrators and trades people to make sure that building and facilities issues are resolved in a timely and efficient manner
Bachelors and 3-5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Previous experience in an academic laboratory and in a similar capacity is desirable. Must be reliable, able to take initiative and work independently following established procedures. Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills are important, as well as attention to detail and basic knowledge of computers. Understanding of GLP/GMP is a big plus. Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with individuals of varying levels of education, experience, and job duties and to thrive in a collaborative research environment is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required to serve as a liaison across multi-functional groups. A detailed-oriented work ethic with strong organization and excellent time management skills are vital to excel in this position. The ability to multitask is critical. Proficient computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are essential, as is a willingness and aptitude for learning new software systems.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$42,953.00 - $77,315.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Smilow-Center-for-Translational/Research-Lab-and-Equipment-Manager--TCSL-CVPF-_JR00044608-1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-9b54aa3111fd714ab3c93bc2cd45d82c
More search results
Dean, Macaulay Honors College
City University of New York
Lecturer in Veterinary Technology
University of New Hampshire
Assistant Professor of School Psychology
California State University, Los Angeles, Division of Special Education & Counseling
Senior Educational Program Administrator
University of Connecticut
Academic Specialist in Biology
Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University