- Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Fairfield University
- Fairfield, Connecticut
- Apr 10, 2017
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
Fairfield University invites nominations for, and expressions of interest in the position of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). The deanship is an exceptional opportunity for a scholarly, imaginative and collaborative leader to guide the College through the exciting challenges of strategic growth and innovation.
Founded in 1942, as Jesuit and Catholic, Fairfield University is a comprehensive, coeducational institution of 5,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Fairfield University's vision is to produce graduates whose lives reflect personal integration, competence in multicultural understanding, and a commitment to professional responsibility. In keeping with its Jesuit mission, Fairfield is an inclusive environment welcoming students, faculty, and administrators of all beliefs and backgrounds. Located one hour north of New York City, on 210 beautiful acres overlooking Long Island Sound, Fairfield's residential campus offers an ideal setting for living and learning in an environment committed to intellectual rigor and community engagement.
The Dean administers the College with a talented team of two Associate Deans, two Assistant Deans and four school directors, along with a cadre of experienced faculty and administrators.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean will lead CAS in efforts to: align its plans with the Fairfield 2020 strategic program; ensure and refresh the vitality of existing undergraduate and graduate courses and programs through keen analysis of data; grow and develop the existing majors within the college to remain the vital hub of the curriculum; work with departments and programs to support, to mentor and to develop faculty; cultivate and enrich the existing interdisciplinary environment by forging strong collaborative relationships with CAS faculty and other campus academic and administrative constituencies. The Dean is also expected to engage with and foster support from the College Board of Advisors as well as with external partnerships and agencies. Additionally, the Dean will manage the administrative dimensions of the College including strategic curricular and fiscal planning, enrollment management assessment, and human resources.
Candidates for the position of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Fairfield University shall possess:
• An earned doctorate or MFA and a record of teaching, research, and service sufficient for a tenured appointment at the rank of Full Professor.
• A commitment to a liberal arts education and the mission of Jesuit higher education – especially its emphasis on transformative intellectual experience and social justice - and the ability to articulate and foster it to a variety of audiences within and beyond our campus community.
• An understanding of the present realities and future possibilities of higher education to provide collegial and creative leadership to the faculty of CAS in shaping a common vision.
• Experience with strategic planning and a proven record of success in working with faculty to enhance existing programs and pursue initiatives.
• Demonstrated record of representing faculty in communication with the administration and representing the administration in communication with College faculty.
• Support of shared governance with a commitment to transparency within decision making.
• A demonstrated commitment to building and maintaining a diverse learning community.
• Experience as an academic administrator with demonstrated capability to fundraise and the ability to lead the College to the next level of excellence.
The Dean will be expected to work effectively with University leadership, faculty, students, staff, advisory boards, donors, artists and corporate leaders.
A search prospectus, with additional information about the University and the leadership agenda for the Dean may be found at www.agbsearch.com/searches/dean-college-arts-and-sciences-fairfield-university and www.fairfield.edu. Those considering becoming candidates are urged to visit these websites prior to submitting an application.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. To receive full consideration, applications should be received by April 8, 2017, and include a substantive letter of interest addressing the leadership priorities outlined, a curriculum vitae, and the contact information (names, phone numbers and email addresses) for at least five professional references. All nominations, inquiries, and applications will be confidential until finalists are identified for campus interviews, at which time the name and curriculum vitae of a finalist may become public.
Nominations and applications must be submitted electronically in MSWord or Adobe PDF to FairfieldCAS@agbsearch.com.
Assisting Fairfield University in this search:
Dr. Louise H. Feroe, AGB Search
1133 20th St. NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
More search results
Executive Director of the Center for Social Conce…
Johns Hopkins University
Assistant Director of Development & Alumni Engage…
Colorado State University - College of Business
ice Chancellor for Agriculture and Life Sciences …
Texas A&M University
Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Capital Assets…
Virginia Commonwealth University
President and Vice-Chancellor
Knightsbridge Robertson Surrette