Executive Director, Tech Ops & Business Ops (Gene Therapy Program)
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Executive Director, Tech Ops & Business Ops (Gene Therapy Program)
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the "go-to" organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.
Our Vector Program group, including Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MS&T), Analytical Sciences and Technology (AS&T) and External Manufacturing (EM) teams, provides Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) support for basic, translational and clinical research for AAV vector-based therapeutic products. A recent initiative in the MS&T team is the addition of functional units that will conduct GMP manufacturing activities in a dedicated GMP space using GTP's platform manufacturing technologies. The AS&T team is also currently undergoing expansion to support continued analytical development and GMP testing activities. To support the enormous growth of the Vector Program, a Technical Operations and Business Operations team will be established that will operate under the direction of Executive Director-level leader.
We are currently seeking the Executive Director of Vector Technical and Business Operations to oversee the team responsible for technical and business support within the Vector Program. The Executive Director will manage teams responsible for providing operational support for EM, AS&T and MS&T teams as well as for GMP Manufacturing Operations to the extent needed at GTP's dedicated CDMO in which GTP's operators will be executing GMP manufacturing. The Executive Director will oversee a team of 18-24 staff including a Senior Director responsible for Manufacturing Operations and a Director responsible for Business Operations as they relate to the Vector Program. The Operational support team will be responsible for establishing and managing supply chain, procurement, materials inventories, scheduling, and equipment validation for research manufacturing as well as GMP testing. The Business support team will be responsible for tracking vector program funding sources and expenses, developing rates and business models for services and working closely with GTPs Finance team to manage Vector Program finances. The Executive Director will work closely with GTP's Vector Program Executive leadership, Laboratory Management, Alliance Management and Finance teams to understand programmatic needs and ensure readiness for both scaled research manufacturing and GMP testing. This is an opportunity for a detail-oriented leader who has a commitment to operational reliability and excellence. An understanding of regulatory compliance as well as experience in GMP biopharmaceutical manufacturing and inventory system oversight is preferred.
- Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering or related disciplines with 7 to 10 years of experience required in the biopharmaceutical operations or similar or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Experience in materials management and oversight of biologic manufacturing preferred
- Understanding of GxP and regulatory guidance for the manufacturing gene therapy products preferred
- Must be highly motivated, have excellent organizational, communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$108,411.00 - $173,457.66
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Translational-Research-Laboratories/Executive-Director--Tech-Ops---Business-Ops--Gene-Therapy-Program-_JR00044013-1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-862ee6c817eb2443a7f058e0014b8625
More search results
Dean, Macaulay Honors College
City University of New York
Lecturer in Veterinary Technology
University of New Hampshire
Assistant Professor of School Psychology
California State University, Los Angeles, Division of Special Education & Counseling
Senior Educational Program Administrator
University of Connecticut
Academic Specialist in Biology
Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University