The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Equine Biobank Manager NBC
Job Profile Title
Research Specialist C
Job Description Summary
The Equine Biobank Manager will be responsible for sample collection, processing, storage and record keeping to maintain and grow the Equine Biobank at the Penn Vet Equine Pharmacology Research Laboratory located at New Bolton Center, Kennett Square. Pa. No public transportation available.
The Equine Biobank Manager will be responsible for collecting samples from horses at New Bolton Center or off site and will be required to perform a significant amount of travel. The ability to work independently and to coordinate transportation of equipment and samples is required. Independent transport is required, and travel expenses will be reimbursed. This individual will also be required to perform laboratory work and maintain excellent records.
Collect samples (primarily venous blood samples) from horses at New Bolton Center or off site independently. This may require a significant amount of travel as directed by the PIs as well as coordination of equipment and personnel for sample processing. Independent transport is required, travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Process samples either at New Bolton Center or offsite, including but not limited to RNA, DNA and protein extraction, Quality Analysis (Nanodrop/ Bioanalysis) and cDNA preparation, according to lab SOPs.
Perform additional laboratory procedures including but not limited to PCR, Western Blots, RNA/DNA Library Preparation.
Create and maintain accurate records of sample collection, processing, and storage according to lab SOPs
Assist with development and validation of new sample processing, storage, and record keeping methods as directed.
Train and oversee summer students and lab interns on sample collection, processing, storage, and record keeping.
The Penn Vet Equine Pharmacology Laboratory is seeking to employ a Research Specialist B or C to independently collect, process, store, and record samples from horses for our Equine Biobank. Laboratory experience is required, as well as the ability to travel using a personal vehicle; travel expenses will be reimbursed. Horse handling experience is also required, ideally including blood sample collection. Strict attention to detail and computer proficiency is required. Experience with quality assurance preferred. The ability to work independently and collaboratively is essential.
Research Specialist B- 1-2 yrs. Laboratory experience is required, as well as the ability to travel using a personal vehicle. Horse handling experience is also required
Research Specialist C- 2-3 yrs. Laboratory experience is required in addition, quality assurance experience necessary. Ability to travel using a personal vehicle. Horse handling experience is also required
Office, Library, Computer Room; High dust, dirt, grease environment, Alternative work schedules, Exposure to chemicals, Outdoor exposure to weather, requires protective devices
Typically standing or walking; Occasional lifting 25-50 lbs., Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
Job Location - City, State
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Department / School
School of Veterinary Medicine
$42,953.00 - $65,861.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/New-Bolton-Center/Equine-Biobank-Manager-NBC_JR00041050
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-2cafc59f5bdd6d45be3a2bf1a22e2708
More search results
Dean, Macaulay Honors College
City University of New York
Lecturer in Veterinary Technology
University of New Hampshire
Assistant Professor of School Psychology
California State University, Los Angeles, Division of Special Education & Counseling
Senior Educational Program Administrator
University of Connecticut
Academic Specialist in Biology
Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University